Poults and heat lamps

Ancient

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2020
Hi all, I have 8 turkey poults that are about 2 weeks old now. I have them in the office in a large rabbit cage. I also have my grow shelves for my garden plants and the lights give off heat. My question is since they are in a closed room and the temperature in there is set to 18, plus I have grow lights, do they need a heat light as well?

Hi all, I have 8 turkey poults that are about 2 weeks old now. I have them in the office in a large rabbit cage. I also have my grow shelves for my garden plants and the lights give off heat. My question is since they are in a closed room and the temperature in there is set to 18, plus I have grow lights, do they need a heat light as well?
Depending on how they were started and how well feathered they are, 2 week old poults could be needing anywhere from 75°F to 85°F temperatures. I am assuming that the 18 that you mention is 18°C which is approximately 64°F or just a little on the cool side for your poults.

Your poults probably need a much bigger "brooder" real soon.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have them on a light just was wondering if they still need it. Do poults grow slower than chicks?the man I bought them from said they were 10 days old(several days ago) and I've been feeding them Turkey starter but they seem small for their age, though this is my first time with poults

Thanks for the quick reply. I have them on a light just was wondering if they still need it. Do poults grow slower than chicks?the man I bought them from said they were 10 days old(several days ago) and I've been feeding them Turkey starter but they seem small for their age, though this is my first time with poults
One of the reasons that poults need a high protein turkey starter is because of their fast growth rate. Heritage poults will be smaller than broad breasted poults at the same age. They can seem that they are not growing and then you pick one up and its whoa, when did you get this big.

Back
Top Bottom