POULTS IN COLD WEATHER

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I'm fairly new to turkeys. Last week we brought a brooding hen into the house when the other hen turkeys ruined the nest and scattered the eggs around the coop. Today the eggs have begun to hatch. We plan to keep the hen turkey and the poults in the house for awhile, but are wondering at what age the poults will be able to deal with our Tennessee winter. Last winter most days were well above freezing; the coldest night was 14 degrees. We're also new to Tennessee. Our serama bantams raised chicks all last winter with the help of a heat lamp. We're hoping the same will be true of the turkeys this winter. Thoughts??

If you're planning on keeping the hen with the poults, they can go out with her any time - she'll keep them warm. Without 'mom' they'd need an age-adjusted heat source until they get their full set of "real feathers" at around 8-ish weeks (give or take a couple weeks for outside temperature adjustment).

My chicks were born in December. They are still in my closet until I give away the roosters this Monday. We have a snow storm warning and maybe on and off snow/rain mix for the month of March. They are fully feathered, but could the hens go outside then? Or do I have to wait another month again?

I'm no expert on turkeys but I'd start out by putting them outside on the nicer days only to get the birds acclimated to the outdoors. Once you're sure that they are doing well leave them out for longer periods (maybe over night). And then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom