Pouncing pullet chicks ???? Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amartinlb, Apr 4, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    My 5 1/2 old pullets are pouncing on the smaller ones (3 wk old) backs. The little ones shriek and run away. [​IMG] Is this normal behavior?

I found someones feather out also- did one pull some one else's out?

Should we put the 5 1/2 week olds (8 pullets) in the shed outside and keep the younger ones(8 pullets) in for a couple of weeks then put them together? What do you suggest?

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Mine pounced on each other I think you may have roosters though if they do it that often.

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    That young I think they will settle. It's a matter of pecking order. If they are all either standard or all bantam they will be fine. Might take a day or two. Watch for picking at the tails and heads. If it does get bad you may need to seperate. Wouldn't worry about a feather...

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our BA chick loves to ambush the BO chick, who is considerably larger. The BA will wait for the BO to jump off the brooder, then will fly down & land directly on top of her.

DBF loves to watch this. He cracks up & imitates it, flapping his arms & going "DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!"

5. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had two batches of chicks three weeks apart in the coop together. The older ones hassled the younger ones for a couple of days, but I made sure the little ones had places they could get away. They got their pecking order settled pretty quickly and the older ones left the younger ones alone. So - I suggest that you just make sure the younger ones can get away if they need to, and they will most likely be fine.

6. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We call it the 'jump and stuff'. The Cornish and Buckeye babies are the best at the maneuver. We've got Asil pullets in the mix this year, so it's non stop action. They hop up in the air, feet forward, and stuff the other chicks face into the shavings.

We haven't have any injuries, maybe some bruised chick egos...

7. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    It seems it's only one individual at a time each day that goes on a pouncing rampage, but then they stop and only do it once in a while...

So it's nothing to be concerned about?

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:I agree with Laskaland...sounds like they are just getting their pecking order straightened out.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by