Pour-on ivermectin and hatching eggs

PNWskye

Songster
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
I tried reading through old posts and didn’t find an answer. Is it ok to hatch eggs after treating hens/roo with pour-on ivermectin? Thanks!

I tried reading through old posts and didn’t find an answer. Is it ok to hatch eggs after treating hens/roo with pour-on ivermectin? Thanks!
You are going to start a debate with this one LOL. But, Ivermectin is given to people as medication so I always eat the eggs (personally) that my hens have laid after treating them with Ivermectin pour on. I don't sell the eggs after treating to others.

There are other forms of medication that you must withdraw egg eating after use. Wazine is one of them that I know of.

Happy eating!

You are going to start a debate with this one LOL. But, Ivermectin is given to people as medication so I always eat the eggs (personally) that my hens have laid after treating them with Ivermectin pour on. I don't sell the eggs after treating to others.

There are other forms of medication that you must withdraw egg eating after use. Wazine is one of them that I know of.

Happy eating!
I saw the eating posts! Definitely not trying to reopen that door.

I’m interested in info for hatching the eggs post-treatment. 🐥

Ah, LOL. I hatch the eggs after treatment as well. I am so conditioned to reading "eat" instead of "hatch" LOL
So, you have hatched eggs after treatment and never had any issues with the chicks? I was considering doing this and so I searched and haven't found many answers. I was just concerned because I don't think you are supposed to give day old chicks ivermectin and from what I read, the ivermectin is basically still in pure form inside the yolks, it doesn't really get broken down. So, they would be absorbing like a full adult dose. But.... it does dissipate over time and the yolks don't really get totally absorbed until close to end of hatch, right? So... maybe it would be okay? haha. This is the debate I'm having with myself and just looking for other input.

Did you hatch the eggs? I’m in this exact predicament right now. I treated with pour on ivermectin and now have a hen who went broody 2 days later. What did you do? Did the eggs hatch ok?

So, you have hatched eggs after treatment and never had any issues with the chicks? I was considering doing this and so I searched and haven't found many answers. I was just concerned because I don't think you are supposed to give day old chicks ivermectin and from what I read, the ivermectin is basically still in pure form inside the yolks, it doesn't really get broken down. So, they would be absorbing like a full adult dose. But.... it does dissipate over time and the yolks don't really get totally absorbed until close to end of hatch, right? So... maybe it would be okay? haha. This is the debate I'm having with myself and just looking for other input.
Did you hatch them out? Did it work ok? I am dealing with the same thing right now!

Did you hatch the eggs? I’m in this exact predicament right now. I treated with pour on ivermectin and now have a hen who went broody 2 days later. What did you do? Did the eggs hatch ok?

Did you hatch them out? Did it work ok? I am dealing with the same thing right now!
Ivermectin can effect fertility in the hen for about 2 weeks after the last dose, making her less fertile. However it's not proven to cause any birth defects in chicks. All you may or may NOT see is a low hatch rate, but keep us posted!

I must have missed the bus on giving Ivermectin to a hen. What for?

Do you get C-19 killing eggs? On that note, my birds get 1.5 ppm Chlorine dioxide in there water. Seems to work, as I've yet to get any sick birds.

I must have missed the bus on giving Ivermectin to a hen. What for?

Do you get C-19 killing eggs? On that note, my birds get 1.5 ppm Chlorine dioxide in there water. Seems to work, as I've yet to get any sick birds.
Some use it for worming their chickens. Some like us, use it for scaly leg mites on our silky chickens. Ours take 1 drop on the skin of their back, repeat in 10 days. I do not know what the worming dosage is.

Back
Top Bottom