Powder Milk

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bragabit, Sep 15, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I have some powder Milk that needs to be tossed. Can I mix it in with my Layer or Chick Mash? Or should I just toss it in the trash?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Feed it!! Milk is good for chickens.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh thank you for making this thread! I too have some older powdered milk. I was wondering if it was too concentrated to sneak a little into their feed.

I'm going to have to try this.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you going to give it to them in the powdered form? I have some too

5. marbekschicks

marbekschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    PA
    I have some too! I was thinking that on the cooler nights or mornings about making the oatmeal/layer mash mix with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water.

6. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I have some as well, do you just mix the dry stuff in with their food?

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You can just sprinkle it on the food. Full of good nutrition + (protein & calcium). Of course like any other treat not huge amounts. I probably would not use it if it got damp or smells rancid.

Imp- I keep a shaker of it for the chickens.

8. marbekschicks

marbekschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    PA
    Quote:Do you think it would be better to just sprinkle some in with the oatmeal mash that I make and use just water instead of adding the water to it and adding 1/2 that and 1/2 plain water?

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Do you think it would be better to just sprinkle some in with the oatmeal mash that I make and use just water instead of adding the water to it and adding 1/2 that and 1/2 plain water?

I think either would be fine. The chickens won't care, so do whichever is easiest for you. I make mine a salad every night so I sprinkled it over the veggies. I only give it when I think about it. If I was getting thin shells I might make more of an effort to remember.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by