Power out help

Sarahh_Janeyy

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
North Florida
My (first) chicks are a week and 3 days old.
This morning we had a freeze, 32deg F, and the transformer outside my house blew about 45 mins ago. No idea when the power will be back. They are in my office, they had a brooder heater. The door is closed and the vent is closed in that room. I'm afraid to open the door and let any heat out to go check on them. Only thing I can think to do is try to find a heat pack at a CVS or something. Any advice? Thoughts? Power has only gone out during storms, so this was surprising. :(

Do they seem cold?

You could fill up some jars with hot water and wrap the jars with towels and put them in the chicks box so they can stand next to them and warm up.

Thought of hot water just as I read the response, but I have no glass jars so I used a metal thermos. Not warm at all. I guess the water heater didn't keep enough hot water. I filled their waterer with warm water. I'm in with them now, they are very active. They don't seem cold but their feet are cold. Ambient temp in the room is about 67 F. Electric is outside right now working. Cross fingers.

No grill or fireplace :/
Chicks actively foraging around.

Attachments

• 20200228_081211.jpg
    20200228_081211.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom