power out?

cvchickenmama

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Carmel Valley
What do you do with your week old chicks if the power gets knocked out?
hmm.png

chicken boy sam

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
I've never had this happen to me, but if I were you, I would have them inside my coat keeping them warm. I hope they're hangin' in there!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

4-H chicken mom

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Oberlin, OH
We get the generator out.
smile.png
Bring them into the warmest room in the house. Also you can put a cover over the brooder to keep what heat they generate inside. Wrap a blanket around the brooder too.
thumbsup.gif

Carpe DiHen

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
El Dorado County, CA
I read here that one woman sat cross legged and put the chicks in her "legg nest" then covered that with a quilt. Said she sat that way for 3 hours! Better than sitting on them i guess
tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:

slightlyscrambled

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Nebraska
if you are able to make hot water bottles place them in the brooder with a towel over them. Thats what I did last spring when we lost our power, I have a natural gas stove so I could heat up water and just put it in like a milk jug or I used large liter pop bottles, dont get the water to hot so it melts the plastic, just nice and warm to snuggle with. I sat them in the brooder and covered them with kitchen towels and my 4 little girls just snuggled up to them. I would change them out before they got to cold and they made it for 10 hours that way!!

Top Bottom