Practice beheading chickens.

Isn’t it interesting how no matter what you post on here, the odds are really high that someone will contradict you? I think part of that is that so many different things work that there is no one right way where everything else is wrong. We all have our own unique circumstances so in some cases one way may be better for us and totally wrong for someone else, but a whole lot of the time it is pure personal preference. Some people can get pretty passionate about defending their personal preference as best for every chicken owner on the planet, no matter the circumstances.

I think another part of it is the over-thinking part. People see problems where none exist. I think that Storey’s Guide comment about cutting the head off with an axe falls in this category. If this truly was a problem, would this be the traditional way it has been done for thousands of years? Storey’s has some good stuff in it but I just roll my eyes at some of that stuff.

Then there is the “good enough” part. I grow a lot of vegetables and preserve them or just eat them, cooked or raw. Every recipe I see starts with “select perfect vegetables at the peak of ripeness”. When I go to my garden, I don’t find perfect vegetables. I use them anyway, cutting out the bad parts. Those veggies may not be “perfect” but they are plenty good enough for me.

And there is the “perception is reality” part. If someone thinks their way is better, then to them it is better, whether it makes any real difference or not.

I enjoy good discussions like this and looking at the “why” behind a lot of this stuff. I like to hear how other people do things and their reasons. That’s part of why I subscribed to this thread. But occasionally you have to get on with life. If it works for you, it is good enough.

I am a single mom of one, so needless to say I don't have any help. I have used the cone method at a friend's house and it worked perfect. At home though I tie the bird by the feet upside down and using a new razor blade I slice the bird's jugular veins and let them bleed out into a large pan. When they are no longer bleeding out, I skin them and process them. I do the same for my meat rabbits.

Isn’t it interesting how no matter what you post on here, the odds are really high that someone will contradict you? I think part of that is that so many different things work that there is no one right way where everything else is wrong...

Ridgerunner,

Once again, you provide a balanced and sensible view, with complete information, detailed and thoughtful responses. Many of us new to this are apprehensive about this topic and you make it easier, with more right and acceptable than wrong and harmful. You also provide us with an example of how to respect the views of others and keep an open mind, always being willing to learning something new, no matter what our experience level.

Because I find so much value in what you know from experience and how you think, how you deal with your chickens and how you deal with others, I subscribe to your posts in this forum, reading whatever you write on whatever the topic. I learn at least as much from you as I've learned from reading Storey's and Small-Scale Poultry Flock. Thanks for all the time you put into writing on this forum. I really appreciate it and greatly benefit from your helpfulness.

Guppy

I use a cone and cut the carotid artery. I have never dispatched them any other way. Im unsure if this way is the best for someone who is squeemish and lacks butchering skills. An example of this from my end is a horrifying tale of what I thought was a dead chicken being prepped with hard scald for feathering. I will elaborate no more. In the end seeing it done, reading watching videos will best prepare you for the inevitable.

Hey, I did not intend any offense. Storey's Guide is a good manual, however, it is the author's opinion. I have had turkey killed with an axe, and it was almost a religious experience, it was so good, so I am a little skeptical about the premise that killing with an axe is so bad. It just seems like there is a lot of pressure put on people who are learning this process, and for most people they don't need any help feeling nervous and worrying that they are going to make a mistake.
That is a very good point!! And really no offense taken. I honestly can't remember how old I was or the experience that I had when I first harvested an animal. I was raised doing it. I grew on on a large hog farm and was hunting and fishing from before I can remember. So thinking about how someone who has never done this, ya it's going to be scary and your going to be antious, but hopefully it goes as planned for you! Just remember the end result is a dead chicken. And hopefully for all the people who have read this, maybe you have learned something. I certaninaly have. Do what YOU think is most comfortable at first and then maybe try something different later. Either way enjoy that chicken dinner!!

Up until now I've been using a hatchet. It works for me but it gets messy. I'm considering to try cutting into the jugular vein but I'm a little squeemish although I am willing to try overcoming it. Should I be cutting only one side or should I cut both sides? Does it matter? Does cutting both sides speed things up?

Up until now I've been using a hatchet. It works for me but it gets messy. I'm considering to try cutting into the jugular vein but I'm a little squeemish although I am willing to try overcoming it. Should I be cutting only one side or should I cut both sides? Does it matter? Does cutting both sides speed things up?
I believe that most folks only bleed on one side. If you sever the carotid artery, the blood will be pumped out by the heart. If you only cut the jugular, the blood will drain out. They are virtually side by side, so you may cut both.

Cutting the carotid and jugular will result in a very rapid death, so the second cut wouldn't be necessary.

My grandma used to step on the head and break the neck. Mom and my aunt say she could dress one out in 12 mins. I prefer a hatchet and Oak log. First time I was nervous but swing was spot on removing the head.

Back
Top Bottom