Praise for my OEG and chicken weirdness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JediJinx, Oct 15, 2014.

1. JediJinx

JediJinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    I am so pleased with my little OEG (standard but the runt of the clutch so she is almost bantam size) - she is only 4 months old and already laying every day a small cream colored egg! Yay, wish they were a little bigger, but I am proud of her.

In other Chicken News today, I have four new pullets added to the small group here and they are white (first whites we've had - they are half leghorn) the rooster does not like the color white, however.

Of these four white maligned pullets, two are about 4 months old, the other two are 7 months. Today I saw the older one mount the younger one like a rooster would, grabbing her by the head, etc.. Believe me, they are ALL girls. She is the dominant one of their group, definitely not a rooster though. Has anyone seen this before? Weird.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sounds like you are enjoying your flock! I've heard of a dominant female taking on the rooster-type role but not seen it in my flock. I suppose it's a way for her to show the other girls she is the boss. I've also read that sometimes a female will even crow. Yep, chickens can be weird but they are so interesting and fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by