Pre broody behavior change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m1marin, May 3, 2017.

1. m1marin

m1marin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2016
    San Leandro
    We were hoping some more experienced chicken owners could help us out with a behavioral change. Our 13 month old GLW has recently started sitting down on the ground a lot more. For the past two or three weeks she'll just be free ranging, walking along and her tail will drop and she'll plop right down.

She is eating, drinking & pooping just fine. She's laying an egg every day and taking plenty of dust baths. But we also noticed she isn't going up to roost at night, preferring to hang outside in the run rather than join her 2 sisters inside the coop.

I think she might be pre-broody because she started making the soft whoop whoop sound. When she is sitting on the ground she'll sometimes puff up if one of her sisters approaches. Does a change in hormones happen around this age and could she be about to become broody? (And if so could this cause other hens to be more aggressive toward her? One of her sisters is also pecking her a lot more than usual which might be why she doesn't want to roost.)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would not associate what you describe as signs of impending broodiness - more of some kind of illness - particularly since other flock members are pecking her (they will try and drive a sick bird from the flock).

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    2x Broodies rarely leave the nest & stop laying. I have had 3 out of 5 that I've been able to break & dread the thought they're taking turns [​IMG] I'm at my limit in our neighborhood and no Roos for me.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. m1marin

m1marin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2016
    San Leandro
    Thanks for the replies. I'll continue with close observation and try to do more research. Hopefully it's just the heatwave and she's trying to stay comfortable.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She could be suffering from the heat.....they can have heat stroke.
    Get her cooled off in some deep shade, cool water to drink, and maybe some electrolyte(ChikSaver).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by