pre harness work with chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gingerpeach22, Mar 2, 2011.

1. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Songster

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    I have a lap sitter girl, a barred rock yearling, that I'd like to teach to wear a harness and leash so I can let her go on the grass outside the coop and run. I've been picking her up a bunch today & giving her a few sunflower seeds so she thinks it's a nice place to be. Then I slowly lower her onto the floor. She plucks my jeans and we go through it again - strong association with food. I added walking slowly in the coop while holding her and offering seeds. Any other ideas?

2. Rivulet

Rivulet In the Brooder

You might look at clicker training and some of their ideas. Though it's primarily considered a technique for training dogs, lots of animals respond quite well to it and the fact that it's all positive reinforcement makes it a good fit for pretty much any animal!

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Good luck on harness training your 'chook! [​IMG]

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I was thinking of doing the same thing with my Bantam, the LF aren't such good fliers and I'll always be out there watching for hawks.
    I think if you're not trying to walk them it should be easy. The trick would be finding a soft harness that
    fits but doesn't block their crop. I'll look for a kitten/cat or reptile harness this spring.

Let us know how it goes [​IMG]

5. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Songster

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    I have a kitty harness which I think will work. We did the picking up, offering couple of seeds, petting, standing around & repeating today. I can envision fear when trying to put on a harness though. Haven't thought through what to do if she struggles - it would increase her fear.
    Yes, I'm familiar with clicker training horses and have done a lot of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: