Pre-made chicken coop, thoughts?

kleekailove

Chirping
8 Years
May 11, 2015
Asheville, NC
Hi guys, I'm completely new to owning chickens. I don't even have my chickens yet, but I will be getting a couple Favorelle pullets next month. I don't have any building tools whatsoever (except for a screwdriver, I guess
tongue.png
), so I was looking into buying a pre-made coop. I had been looking around a lot online and at feed supply stores and found a coop that seems to be a pretty good value per square foot. However, since I'm new, I wanted some second opinions before I buy it.

Also, if some more information helps, I'm planning on getting two female Favorelles (possibly three), and I'm planning to give them free-run of my yard during a few hours each day and then putting them in the coop at night. It doesn't necessarily have to be long-lasting because we are going to be moving in a year and will probably have to get or build a new chicken coop there.

Doing the math, it looks like the run is 16 square feet, the coop is about 7.5 square feet and the nesting area is an additional 4 square feet. Here are some photos of what it looks like. Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

Last edited:
If you have no building skills, then yes these will work. Home Depot sheds will work fine actually, with a few mods. However, for me, the best part of raising chickens, after getting the eggs, is building the coop and run. Maybe you can get a handyperson to help you get started. It doesn't need to be fancy, just practical.

These things are generally way overpriced for what you're getting. But if you cant or don't want to do the labor this is one avenue to take. This one seems quite cheaply made but might work as long as you don't have any raccoons come along and try to get in there.

Is that chicken wire or welded wire?
Do all openings have secure latches?
Are you chickens going to come out and roam the yard during the day? If not that seems like a very small confinement.

I don't mind a small coop as long as the chickens can get out and and walk around when they want. All they really need the coop for is to sleep and lay eggs.

" --- I don't mind a small coop as long as the chickens can get out and and walk around when they want. All they really need the coop for is to sleep and lay eggs. "

Very true. I agree. I overbuilt my coop, just to realize the hens dont want to go in untill 630 pm every night and leave first thing in the morning. Small coop, with a big run or free range, that is the way to go. anyway,

For two hens I would think that should be enough space. Just be prepared to build something bigger when chicken math eventually takes over. I was sure we would have 8 chickens MAX, but got a bigger coop and run just in case. Now we're at 14 chickens and 8 guineas.
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom