Pre-made Run suggestion?

SilkieNewbee

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
Hi folks, I am new here and new to chickens Planning to get 6 baby chicks in May. I have either a 5x6 or 6x8 Amish built coop in the works for my backyard, I have half an acre. I’m unsure about what to do about a run. I would like to get 100sq ft thereabouts as I may expand to 10-12 chickens later. I can let them free range some when I’m home. I have never built anything like a run and would prefer to get something that could be easy to assembly or already put together and be predator proof. I’ve looked at the OverEz Runs and the Omlet runs as well as chicken condo runs. Does anyone have experience with these and know if they would attach to an existing chicken coop, or do you have any other ideas or recommendations for me?
Thanks

Have you looked at dog kennel type of fence? I’m not sure how predator poof it is. I use that but I have two dogs that stay outside all night so I don’t really have to predator proof it besides adding a net over it for aerial predators.
Thank you, do you have a link or recommendation to the type of dog kennel you used?

Hi folks, I am new here and new to chickens Planning to get 6 baby chicks in May. I have either a 5x6 or 6x8 Amish built coop in the works for my backyard, I have half an acre. I’m unsure about what to do about a run. I would like to get 100sq ft thereabouts as I may expand to 10-12 chickens later. I can let them free range some when I’m home. I have never built anything like a run and would prefer to get something that could be easy to assembly or already put together and be predator proof. I’ve looked at the OverEz Runs and the Omlet runs as well as chicken condo runs. Does anyone have experience with these and know if they would attach to an existing chicken coop, or do you have any other ideas or recommendations for me?
Thanks
Dog fence sections are easy-peasy.. Acquired an old dog pen already established, Added some tin and 2x4's on hand and some pool cover material for the tin roof with holes in it.. It's all good.. and an old pond net for cover..

Thanks
Keep in mind chickens tunnel under the fence.. as do predator's from the outside. Toss in some logs, firewood or rocks to discourage any of the above.. along the fence. Works great!

I use dog kennels. You have to put hardware cloth on the bottom of the panels because coons and possums can reach in the chainlink. Still have to put an apron to keep anything else from digging under the panels. Good thing about the panels is they hold some 2x4s with tin on top to make my run covered and predator proof from the top.
Nice do u have a photo?

I am looking into the same type of run for a scond coop (chicken math, isn't it great...).
You will have to definitely add hardware cloth to the bottom and either apron that out a foot or dig down a foot into the ground to prevent predators from reaching in or digging under. I have been looking at the "Lucky Dog" brand at Petco (they ship for free to Hawaii, always a factor for me anyway). They can be added to easily. Planning to cover it as well, but have not decided how. Our worse predator here are mongoose, that hunt in the daytime. They can climb and dig and also grab birds through the fence much like raccoons.

Nice do u have a photo?

Sorry I don't but its just some 2x4s layed on top of the pipe so it forms a slope with some tin I pulled off a barn screwed to them. Nothing fancy or real pretty since it's reused stuff but my coop is behind my shop and nobody sees it anyways. It helps keeping the run somewhat dry in the rain and everything out.

Back
Top Bottom