Pre-Newbie from Peoria, Arizona

Demosthine

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Howdy All.

Well, I’m not even a Newbie. I’m hoping to get a couple three or four chickens sometime this year, but I have a HUGE task to overcome first: convincing my wife (and her girlfriend) that chickens aren’t the nasty, disgusting creatures of horror that they think they are. Interestingly, I have the girlfriend’s husband interested in them, too. LoL. Oh, the joys of being married…

Anyway, I’m in North Peoria about 15 minutes South of Lake Pleasant. It’s an 8,500 square foot lot with lots of shade from oleander bushes and the porch. The back yard is grassy and could use the addition of chickens. Because the oleanders drop so many leaves and are underlandscaped with rocks, there are a large amount of bugs always available. I have a good number of milkweed bugs always around and have scorpions to boot. The end of our street is open desert, so these types of creatures are always going to be a ready food supply.
Before I get the warning that oleanders are poisonous to animals, I am aware of that. So far, from my reading, chickens seem to be smart enough to know they are dangerous and they won’t eat them. I have found countless cases on here where people have the two co-habitating without issues.

Well, I’ll leave it at that for now. Thanks for the great resources!
Scott

WelcometoBYC.gif

Greetings from a fellow Arizonan and welcome to BYC! Good luck with convincing your wife! Yep, chickens will be fine with the oleanders, however, the scorpions can occasionally cause problems. Just keep a bottle of children's benadryl on hand. Be sure to drop in and say hello on our BYC AZ thread, where we talk about all things related and unrelated to raising chickens in our special climate.

Thanks everyone. OneDoodle, I posted another thread in a different section asking if there is anyone in my area that is raising them. I haven't gone down to a farm because I want her to see a smaller, more realistic situation in terms of what we can have. So far, no takers, but it's only been a few hours since I posted it.

Gallo, that thread is almost 3000 pages long! That's a HUGE amount of reading! They outta have a sub-forum dedicated to each state, or at least each region. You know, South, Southwest, East Coast, etc. Much better than cramming all that info into one thread! That is the longest one I've ever seen, though!

Thanks everyone. OneDoodle, I posted another thread in a different section asking if there is anyone in my area that is raising them. I haven't gone down to a farm because I want her to see a smaller, more realistic situation in terms of what we can have. So far, no takers, but it's only been a few hours since I posted it.

Gallo, that thread is almost 3000 pages long! That's a HUGE amount of reading! They outta have a sub-forum dedicated to each state, or at least each region. You know, South, Southwest, East Coast, etc. Much better than cramming all that info into one thread! That is the longest one I've ever seen, though!
lau.gif
You don't have to read the whole thing! Just jump in! It's more of a social experience and a good place to ask questions about raising chickens in the desert.

Edited to add: I just saw your question in the Where am I? Where are you? section of the forum. It will most likely get lost there and no one from AZ will see it. Ask your question directly in the AZ thread, everyone will see it then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom