Precious..the blind Barred Rock hen

Pics
Precious is 15 weeks old as of today. Shouldn't be too much longer before she starts laying eggs. I'm sure that experience, coupled with the coming hormonal changes of 6 others, will provide plenty of entertainment, and drama. Then there is the added drama of the cockerel, who is also the same age. So far, he hasn't exhibited any mating behaviors, only his crowing, which he really doesn't do that often....yet.....

My questions about the coming changes are....will the cockerel favor Precious, or become more antagonistic toward her.....how will the changes in pecking order change with laying, and how will Precious be affected by that....Will Precious crush eggs she cannot see..when trying to lay in a nesting box with other eggs....etc..etc....

So far, none of the 7 new pullets (all 15 wks) have gone into the open nesting boxes. The two older hens are the only ones that use them. I have never even seen any of them even dare enter them. So...does Precious even know they are there, and will she figure out how to use them when it's time? So many unanswered questions......

Ha Ha...and right after I posted that...Precious moved to the roost area..and got a visitor...our young cockerel....they hang together a lot.
IMG_1370.jpeg

I never had to think about all that with my MicroRoo. I can see where this could be a real issue for her. My vote is she will lay where she stands when the urge hits her. Not sure she will be able to make all the associations with the nest boxes and one time of being run out will be enough. And I really worry about her with the cockerel. They are sweet in the picture but when he thinks she needs mating their comradeship won't matter I think it will freak her out terribly. But of course she will have those hormone changes as well. Can't wait to see how this goes for her sake I hope it is a smooth transition into henhood. Prayers for Precious.
20200724_180619.jpg

My roo has a roomate now. Momba needed a place in the coop but away from all the mean girls. So her and MicroRoo have made good roomies. He and she were a little standoffish for a while but have since relaxed around each other and other than a squawk or two when Roo Blunders into her everything is cool.

Last edited:
My questions about the coming changes are....will the cockerel favor Precious, or become more antagonistic toward her.....how will the changes in pecking order change with laying, and how will Precious be affected by that....Will Precious crush eggs she cannot see..when trying to lay in a nesting box with other eggs....etc..etc....

So far, none of the 7 new pullets (all 15 wks) have gone into the open nesting boxes. The two older hens are the only ones that use them. I have never even seen any of them even dare enter them. So...does Precious even know they are there, and will she figure out how to use them when it's time? So many unanswered questions......
Really hard to say what will happen......it's fascinating. :caf

Back
Top Bottom