Precipitation In Little Giant Problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ILikeBirds, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ILikeBirds

ILikeBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    SW Washington
    Hey all,

I did some looking around on here and didn't see anyone else with my (potential) problem.

Some back story; I live in WA, while incubating my eggs up until day 18, my incubator maintains a humidity level of about 45% with out adding any water. If I were to fill three of the reservoirs in the bottom, it jumps up to about 65%-70%. So up until day 18 I don't add any water.

On day 18 I filled 2 of the reservoirs and was only able to increase the humidity to 55%. Long story short I just COULD NOT get my humidity up to 60-70%. I ended up having to fill ALL of the reservoirs and place a large bowl full of water in the incubator to get the humidity up to about 65%. Yet this caused A LOT of precipitation to build up on the inside surface of my incubator. I would open the top to fill up the bowl and it would soak my eggs. Both plugs were pulled, and the incubator has a fan.

My eggs didn't hatch. I did an autopsy and they were fully developed, with a little of their yolk still out, and there heads still tucked under their wing, so they did not get a chance to try and pip. I can only assume the humidity was the problem.

So my question is, is my humidity gauge off? And if it's not, why is there so much precipitation build up? Does anyone else have precipitation build up?

Thank in advance!

2. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    I think your referring to condensation. And yes you have a bad hygrometer if your incubator is dripping with condensation and your hygrometer won't even read 65%. With dripping condensation your humidity was at or close to 100% and that is probably why the embryos died.

3. ILikeBirds

ILikeBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    SW Washington
    Condensation and precipitation are synonyms :)

That's what I assumed, although I wanted another opinion. Thanks! I'll go ahead and buy one from amazon. Any suggestions?

4. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by