predator getting my chickens through 2x4 wire. no sign of entry???? what do you think it is

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joshyoua_rine, Sep 10, 2013.

1. joshyoua_rine

joshyoua_rine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    t-ville, NC
    I have lost a total of 4 adult bantams and 2 chicks in 3 days. On sunday i noticed something had dug about 2 inches under a small
    half inch wire covered brooder and got a hen and 2 chicks. Then sometime between last night and this evening i went to check my
    other large 2x4 wire covered pen and was missing 3 adult bantams with no sign of entry.

my question is what predator do you think it is? i am quite puzzled as to what would remove 3 birds through 2x4 wire and leave only feathers with no sign of entry and no carcasses. my guess is a small family of racoons

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    It could be a weasel.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Raccoons can pull them through the wire. Also weasels and rats can get through anything but 1/2 inch hardware cloth. For diggers you can apron out some hardware cloth (google hardware cloth apron) or bury it.

Where they sleep has to be coated and covered in hardware cloth wherever there are openings to be a Fort Knox coop.

4. joshyoua_rine

Aug 9, 2011
    t-ville, NC
    i thought about about weasel but to my understanding i thought they only eat inards and not whole birds???

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The losses could be caused from any number of predators. The problem that need to be fixed are as follows:

1. Secure all opening with hardwire cloth with no larger than a 1/2 inch opening. (i.e.: All sides, top, bottoms etc)

2. Pens on ground level that can be dug into need 1/4" or 1/2" hardwire cloth covering the ground and coming out on a 2' perimeter to stop digging.

or

Coop them

Anything larger than 1/2" opening means lost birds.

2 people like this.
  6. joshyoua_rine

Aug 9, 2011
    t-ville, NC
    it was a racoon

7. smedly9921

smedly9921 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    North East Ohio
    Racoons are smart as hell. Set some have a heart traps with marshmallows or tuna fish, capture them and kill them. The trap will prove an easier meal than your chickens, they will get trapped then you MUST KILL THEM. If you live in a city and cannot shoot them them fill a rubber made tote with water and put the whole cage in, wait five minutes dispose of the carcass as far away from you house as possable because the dead animal will attract other unwanted predators. This will work, it works for me, when i first started i lost plenty of chickens to coons now that i have traps set all the time i loose none.

8. joshyoua_rine

Aug 9, 2011
    t-ville, NC
    Steel foot traps are very affective, but they are not picky lol. i already had a marshmallow in a live trap and the raccoon didnt take the bait.

9. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Sounds like a weasel to me. They will carry the birds away and stash them in their burrows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by