Predator Identification

BeateO

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
My BF raises Chicken and Turkeys and yesterday something got into his turkey pen and killed the entire flock (12 adult birds). We built the enclose predator proof - or so we thought with 16 gauge welded wire fencing and bird net - but something pulled the welded wire apart wide enough to get in. The birds were torn open so we are suspecting a raccoon, but the cam has also recorded a bob cat recently (besides nightly coon visits at the run). Would bob cats pry open wire? A neighbor saw two dogs running around the area unleashed so everybody locked up their chickens. Dogs dig, but would they also pry fence? The run has fruit trees were some of the birds roost, but at night they would not move to escape if hunted. What are some good identifyer to understand what type of animal is behind an attack?

Attachments

• F5050FC8-4CC9-4746-A05B-C26FE8530C4B.jpeg
    F5050FC8-4CC9-4746-A05B-C26FE8530C4B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
I think the raccoon would be the first suspect. They are strong, and can reach and grab. That means they can use their body to also pry things open, as they struggle to get thru.
There could have been more than one involved. Like mother and four adult kits.
If you have cameras, did they indicate any activity that night??

Look to see if there are any traces of hair at the entrance site.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome

I'm thinking coon also. Don't think it was a dog. Hole looks too small for a dog to get in. Bird netting is useless to keep predators out. Hardware cloth is much better.
Was the netting over the top of the run also?

Last edited:
I am so sorry.
I would guess the raccoon was able to get through the wire fencing.
I would think the bobcat would climb the fencing and go through the top unless the top was predator proof.
Hardware cloth is better at predator proofing, with the wire fencing, predators can reach in to grab poultry or sneak through.

Weasel wouldn't need to tear apart the welded wire. It would have easily walked on through. Looks like its 2"x4" WW and there's at least 4-5 wires broken making the hole around 10" wide.
Agree, a weasel or mink would easily fit through the openings of the fencing.

I don’t think a raccoon is able to tear apart the welded wire. I had a fox chew through wire making a small hole just big enough to slide through. I challenge anyone to go tug on that 2x4 wire and and try to pull it apart and let me know how it goes. If you can’t do it, a raccoon surely can’t.

I’ll also add that the carcass is the pic is not indicative of a fox kill either. Hard to say

Back
Top Bottom