Predator injured my turkey, please help!

MentoringMom

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Ohio
This morning something, possibly a fox or coyote, attacked and killed a couple hens, and injured my turkey hen. I cleaned and disinfected the wounds well, and then bandaged her neck with manuka honey on the wounds. However, she does not seem to be able to lift her head up, and has a hard time standing or walking. She's very wobbly and seems to need to rest her tail on something for support in order to stand. I don't think she can drink anything since she can't lift her head up. I'm attaching pictures of her standing and of the wounds before I bandaged them. The pictures show the worst wounds, but there are some smaller bite marks on the other side of her neck as well.
How can I help her? Especially, how can I get her to at least drink something?

How's her breathing? And her color? (Meaning, are the parts of her that are normally pink still pink, or are they white/pale or muddy/grey/blue?)
The puncture on her neck is concerning, I'm worried it could have damaged her trachea or an important nerve.
If taking her to a vet isn't an option, use rolled towels to prop her into a sternal (normal sitting) position and support her neck. You can use a dropper or syringe to gently introduce water into the back of her mouth.

Her color is definitely off, more pale and grey and not much pink/red. She has been panting, so I brought her inside where it's cooler. She's now lying down with her head on the floor. She probably did injure something inside, so I don't know if we can save her. :( But it would cost quite a bit more to take her to the vet than she is worth. I did manage to get some water down her at least. Now I'm wondering if we should euthanize her, as much as I would really hate to do it.

Oh, I'm so sorry. Pale and grey means blood loss and poor oxygenation, sounds like she's really doing poorly. If she's still panting once she's out of the heat, I'm concerned that the panting is due to difficulty breathing and/or pain. If that's the case, it may be kindest to let her go.
If she stops panting, I think it's ok to leave her somewhere quiet and safe overnight, and see how she looks in the morning.

She stopped panting for a while, but then earlier today she was panting quite a bit, and I was afraid we were going to loose her. I just changed her bandages and gave her some water from a dropper. Then I gave her some scrambled egg mixed with a bit of yogurt and she ate a small amount of that. I tried offering her water in a bowl, and she managed to drink from it okay. I held her neck up and she was able to lift her head enough to swallow, and drank quite a bit, so maybe there is hope! I'll see if my sister, who is a nurse, can take a look at her. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.

Back
Top Bottom