Predator killed my ducks

I've worked all spring and summer long on a coop and runs because I want them to be predator proof so none of my birds will be killed.I only use hardware cloth on my coops and runs .I am using netting over top of one I just built but they're only allowed in there when I can supervise them . My advise it to add an electric fence around them because the only thing that motivates predators to leave birds alone is pain and fear of death.

I'm sorry for your loss. Most people on BYC know how it feels to lose beloved birds. I absolutely adore raising ducks and when one of my sweetest ducks, Monti, passed away- with her eggs in the incubator, no less- I just didn't know what to do.
Bright lights, loud noises, guard dogs, two layers of reinforced fencing (especially electric), horrible smelling stuff- there's a lot you can do to keep predators away but sometimes, nothing can stop predators from doing what they do.
I think that you should get more ducks, if you feel ready. Losing birds is painful, but it teaches you, too.
And if it helps, Misty and Jumbo are Monti's daughters, and they're still alive. Sometimes you get unlucky, and sometimes, you get blessed.

I'm sorry for your loss. Most people on BYC know how it feels to lose beloved birds. I absolutely adore raising ducks and when one of my sweetest ducks, Monti, passed away- with her eggs in the incubator, no less- I just didn't know what to do.
Bright lights, loud noises, guard dogs, two layers of reinforced fencing (especially electric), horrible smelling stuff- there's a lot you can do to keep predators away but sometimes, nothing can stop predators from doing what they do.
I think that you should get more ducks, if you feel ready. Losing birds is painful, but it teaches you, too.
And if it helps, Misty and Jumbo are Monti's daughters, and they're still alive. Sometimes you get unlucky, and sometimes, you get blessed.
Thank you so much! Not ready yet, but these responses help and maybe someday.

Pallets covered in hardware cloth with a couple strands of electric wire wrapped around it would keep out anything small as a weasel or big as a dog.Burying hardware cloth around the perimeter to make an apron would keep out foxes that are excellent diggers . If you build it right it'll last for years. It keeps my mind off negative things to focus on the positive things in life like my chickens .They bring me great joy even on the worst days!

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say I know how you feel and I'm so sorry for your loss. A predator killed one of my ducks last night and I'm devastated. From your pic, I have some a suggestion if it's helpful for you! If you get some hardware cloth at Home Depot and wrap it around the sides as well as the top, you will likely be in much better shape. We just spent hours today retrofitting our duck house and it appears that it's hardest for predators to break through hardware cloth (weird name, I know. It's like super small chicken wire). I wonder if more experienced folks could comment on this? Hugs!

I am pleased to share that I redid the entire duck house based on all the great advice and threads about predator proofing. My husband enclosed most of the house with hardware cloth and siding, trenched and on the rooftop. I added cameras, spotlight, and blinking lights.
I purchased new ducklings at the end of September and have had no issues so far. I still worry all the time, but believe the duck house is secure so the only risk is when I allow them to free roam, but they love it. I just spend a lot of time outside with them.
This forum really helped me get over that initial loss, fix their coop and run area and try again!
Sharing new pics!

Attachments

• 2DC37772-6EF8-4655-A2FE-7EF005BAD0A2.jpeg
    2DC37772-6EF8-4655-A2FE-7EF005BAD0A2.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2C7FE8B3-1D34-40E0-9BAA-07DBDDEDDA85.jpeg
    2C7FE8B3-1D34-40E0-9BAA-07DBDDEDDA85.jpeg
    699.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A77F4AF3-6D72-4AE6-B0EA-A3CA56A052DF.jpeg
    A77F4AF3-6D72-4AE6-B0EA-A3CA56A052DF.jpeg
    956.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 42518F4B-BC45-4721-950F-1CDB01716B84.jpeg