Predator Problem

It's putting a walking buffet outside in a sense. We're going to put the electric fencing in next.

It is Absolutely aweful. Since losing our chicken and having to pick up the remains my husband and I go out every night and find areas on our coop we can reinforce. We've bought key padlocks, a coon trap, security lights & a couple more chickens. DH checks periodically through the night - paranoid much? YES! Haven't caught anything yet but I expect to.
Thanks for all of the support here! Fantastic Group!

Last edited:
I had a similar experience. I was a young boy, and it was an average night on the farm. There was a rustling in the barn which stirred me from my slumber. Out of the window I saw a shadowy predator escape the chicken shed, a lifeless bird in tow. The clucking was so loud and horrible to listen to. I swear I could hear the chickens, clucking for help, but by the time I arrived, they were all gone. I could not be consoled, for I had lost my friends.

Coops and runs can't be too secure!  Plan for weasels, rats, maybe snakes.  Raccoons with clever little hands, and 100 lb. hungry dogs.  Bears?  Digging under, climbing or flying in.  Chicken is on everyone's menu!  Mary

Agree. I am constantly thinking of even more ways to make everything secure. My problem is that I usually have to make adjustments by myself as hubby works out of town. And some things just take two pairs of hands. :( So I work on layering defenses and "throwing a little bit of everything at the wall and hoping something sticks". I feel the safest for them when they are locked in at night. The house is pretty snug and windows are lined inside and outside with HC with the edges covered with boards that are screwed in. Door has two locks, all openings at roof line covered by HC. It can't be dug under. And "if" it was there are two layers of floor to breach. Still, I figure there is probably an over achieving predator out there somewhere. (my neighbors seem to think it is bear proof too but i wouldn't want to test that) Daytime defenses need some beefing up....for now I count a lot on my two GP's patrolling. Pen is not climb proof but probably dig proof....hopefully. One part of run is roofed and the other part has a covering of chicken wire. Yet EVERYDAY the hawks come and check it out. Hoping I will get lax I guess. Said all of that to say, I feel they are reasonably safe but it is evident that they are constantly being checked out. Threads like this are extremely helpful so that I can keep a running account in mind as to where my defenses might be weak. Absolutely hate hearing about losses as I know it is gut wrenching but so helpful when people share. As my farmer neighbor told me when I was working on defenses....you do the very best you can and hope for the best but inevitably a predator will figure out a way in. As Mary said, "Chicken is on everyone's menu!" .

Back
Top Bottom