Predator problem?

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
I have just transitioned 9-10 week old chicks to the coop, and they’ve been locked in the run/coop area for a couple days now when I’m not present. Problem is, they put up such a fight trying to go in the coop, and start getting very loud once I shut them in. The coop and run rests about two inches from the fence. Oddly enough, a dug up hole appeared between the run and the fenced in area where I will let them free-range (with supervision) has just been noticed and I’m certain it wasn’t there, it’s big enough for me to fit my hand and wrist under from under the fence and I can weasel my fingers under the run. Could this be a predator problem? The coop is a pre-fab that I was kindly gifted, I’m kind of at maximum capacity with chickens as I rescued the maximum amount I can house, so my temporary/quarantine area is currently filled with adult birds. I’m worried that the coop won’t hold well against a predator invasion, it’s broken on my just by me handling it. Should I bring them back to their brooder for the night?

Yes, this is most likely a predator trying to get in. Maybe a ground hog, fox, or other things. Underneath my coop I have concrete blocks and gravel so that nothing can dig under.

Yes, you have a predator. the hole is there and it will come back. putting flock in the brooder tonight is a good idea. you’ll have to secure the run and coop before moving them out. can you relocate the coop away from the fence and install a 2ft hardware cloth predator apron?

To help with this and to skip the hassle of daily fighting to put the chickens back in the main coop area, use hardwire cloth and stretch it on the inside of the run from one side to the other. Half of it should be connected to the run-wall and the other half should be nailed in or somehow connected to the ground or bottom of run. It will have a bend in the middle from where it transitions to the connection on the wall to the connection on the floor. Do this on each side. This was predators will dig under the run and then hit the hardwire. These holes are extremely tiny so predators will not climb or break through.

Yes, you have a predator. the hole is there and it will come back. putting flock in the brooder tonight is a good idea. you’ll have to secure the run and coop before moving them out. can you relocate the coop away from the fence and install a 2ft hardware cloth predator apron?
Wow we thought of the same thing, hardwire cloth😂

Back
Top Bottom