predator problems

good ole boy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
sharpsburg, kentucky
alot of us have had a rough time with predators killing our pets. it is a shame we cannot raise our poultry without worring something is gonna harm or kill them, but that is part of mother nature i guess as cruel as it is. has anyone thought about when a attack on pets has happened to post detail pictures of the coops and runs design so that everyone can give feedback on how you might be able to improve your designs and make your pets safer. also all new comers or future members will have a jump start on making a very safe haven for their flock. this might have already been brought up, and if so i appologize. i read almost everyday some member on here loosing pets. with that being said i hope eveyone the best with their pets

I think that this topic is covered pretty well in the coop building section.

For most of us, if we want to keep our poultry safe, we have to have a Fort Knox-like coop and run.

I think most people, especially new folks, do not know the predators in their area and how cunning they can be. You wouldnt need a fort knox coop if you only faced hawks etc. Best advice for new people is to find out what they may be up against then design around those predators and their strengths. Hawks here until fall, then we run the gamut from mink to bears.....

I really love my predator control, my 2 dogs I think they are the best, they wont let anything in the yard and if something dose come within sight they let us know. just one of the many benefits of dogs.

The other issue with newest chicken keepers is, "I live in town" or "we only have neighbors dogs and a fenced back yard". No matter how many times they are warned that coons, possum, fox and many others don't read those city limit signs and are more than likely there. Just because YOU haven't seen one doesn't dictate they aren't around. Predators are determined, and will test, test, retest what you built for your ducks/chickens to find a way in.

Predators will, climb, push, squeeze, dig their way in. When all else fails they will reach in and pull what they want out.

Raccoons can manipulate items and learn over time how to open many basic clasp and locks. If it isnt a key lock, but rather just a clasp or hinge they will attempt to open it. If a small child can operate it a raccoon can also.

Back
Top Bottom