Predator proof run?

Brahmamama4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Washington
I know I've heard it's impossible, but I hope that my run is going to be predator-proof. My goal is to be able to leave the door to the coop open so they can come and go as they please in the mornings and evenings. I live in a development that backs up to a greenspace with trees. My main concerns are raccoons and hawks. I have a 6x12 ft dog kennel run that will be completely roofed with plywood and hardware cloth and the sides of the run will be competely covered by hardware cloth attached to the chain link. The run will be on a cement slab so there isn't any possibilities for digging under. Does this sound like a good setup? Should I be concerned about anything else getting in?
hmm.png

It sounds like you have a pretty good setup.
I would just say to keep in mind small gaps and the hole sizes in your fence for snakes.
Little snakes I wouldn't be too worried about, if you will have any roosters at all, personally.

Sounds good to me! We just put plastic aviary netting on top of our run to keep the hawks out. It's really lightweight, easier to work with than hardware cloth and a lot less expensive. As you can see, it works perfectly:
56533_8-22-09_coop_hawk_2.jpg

Plastic netting works fine on the top of the run against hawks during daytime. But you couldn't leave your coop door open to the run at night with a setup like that--well, you could, but it would be a serious risk. A raccoon would hardly have to pause before ripping through plastic netting.

Umm, do we have predatory snakes in Washington State? I suppose rattlers over the mountains in Eastern Washington...but seriously, wouldn't they only be a threat to chicks up to say six weeks old? Here on the west side, I've never seen anything but garter snakes. Totally harmless. We played with those as kids. Am I missing something?

Quote:
You may not have many predatory snakes around, I can't say.
The only reason, and issue, I may have with other snakes (that 99/100 don't want ANYTHING to do with a chicken) are that they will want to get those eggs or the biddies.
If those won't be accessible, then you may not have a ton to worry about, but you can still end up with a snake trying to check the place out or shack up for a time in there.
I am just going to try to make it very difficult for snakes in general to get in so I don't have to worry over it.
If it is fairly easy to do and not much more out of your way while you are building, it may be worth it to do the first time and be done with it.

Totally agree with watching out for snakes, but having seen the only snakes we have in the area are the garter snakes (which I used to catch as a kid also) I'm not too worried. Actually I'm pretty sure that my Brahmas wouldn't hesitate to try to eat one of those if they came inside the run to check it out
sickbyc.gif
Thank you to everyone for giving me some more confidence to let the girls roam as they please.
big_smile.png

Yep, if that is really all the snakes are, I wouldn't be too worried over them until you have a need to be.
A hen probably would, but one rooster would probably LOVE to play with a little snake that wants to venture in.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom