Predator Proof

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smokindave, Jan 16, 2016.

1. smokindave

smokindave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

I have a 100'x100' chicken yard. That's 10,000 square feet. The fence is 4' high with 2"x4" weave. In addition to the chicken house I have a dog house. That's where a good ole mixed hound rescue dog lives when not by the woodstove. He will not harm a chicken or a cat. I also am surrounded by hawks, foxes, neighbor dogs, bobcats, and about anything else that lives in the woods and fields. The only time I ever loose a chicken is if one gets in the habit of flying outside the fence to forage (which is pretty rare). Anyway, I just have to say, if you can find a good dog like Cleo, you won't have problems with critters. Although as gentle and loving as they come, he is the great enemy of all things wild and fury. I love this dog. He is worth every penny I will ever spend on him.

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I always love a good dog story. Enjoy

What is 2x 4 weave?

3. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    You are definitely very lucky. I know my goats helped a lot keeping predators away just because of their size but they are not as good as a dog.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably 2" x 4" woven wire fencing.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Dogs like the above are like our grannies and great grannies farm dogs of old. That (plus a 12 gauge scatter gun, a .22 rifle, and a tow sack full of steel traps) was all that was needed then to raise free range or pastured chickens and eggs.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    He looks like a real sweetheart!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by