Predator proof?

australorpchick

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Canyon Lake, TX
I just built a new 4'w x 8'l x 7't coop. It is surrounded by a 7.5' x 13' chainlink dog kennel. I have cut chicken wire buried approx 6 - 8" under the kennel with the pointy ends pointed upwards and about 1 ft of chicken wire wired to the bottom of the kennel. I also have chicken wire over the top of the kennel wired to the fence and stapled to the plywood roof and tarps on top of that (I haven't had a chance to install the plastic roofing & it's going to rain this week). My chickens live about 10 minutes away from us, so the chicken door is left open so that they can wander outside in their kennel during the day. The chickens reside on horse property which is protected by several dogs (raised with chickens) and barn cats. Is this safe enough? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My fear is the chicken wire. Chicken wire keeps chickens in and very determined coons, possums, weasels, minks etc. etc. can chew right threw it.
My previous run was completed enclosed top and bottom with chicken wire and finally replaced with 1 inch woven wire. I got tired of patching the holes the coons chewed through it. My chickens were safely looked up at night so I didn't lose any but those coons went through the chicken wire like a paper bag.

Last edited:
I heard about predators chewing through the chicken wire. I put hardware cloth on the bottom 3' of the pen and chicken wire on the top 4'. I was told the wire tha't buried in the ground will eventually rust away. I'm putting the aluminum flashing that's used on roofs to help with water proofing around the bottom, and into the ground, around the pen.

being that far away i'd put residential grade chain link over the top and lay three feet of welded wire horizontaly along the edge of the structure to bolster you underground wire. i had a pet coon that worked the joints on the welded wire in his pen untill it broke open a hole large enough for him to get through. they're very detemined little characters.

Back
Top Bottom