Predator proof.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ole rooster, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've read on some of these post where some predators tore through hardware cloth. Have any of you found it necessary to cover each side of the 2X4 the run petitions or bottom of the coop, the ones 24 inches off the ground, in order to keep the out the nasty creatures out? The post cause me worry?

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Our run has hardware cloth on all sides - including the bottom of one section, and the section that doesn't have it on the bottom, has a 10-inch apron of hardware cloth going out to the side. We've only had our chickens for two months, but we live out in the country with lots of raccoons and bobcats and other predators around, and we haven't had any problems so far. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Oh, and we have raccoon proof locks on every door and nest box.

3. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'd rather be safe than sorry is exactly what I was thinking. But the hens will be locked in at night, and most of the day out at large. I've put 12 inch paver stones around the run and coop. I'm trying that instead of wire and will just have to see if it works. I hope being locked in at night will take care of a lot of the predator problem. At lest to the point that I can't see. Of course when they're out I can see what's going on.

Thanks.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Our run in completely enclosed with hardware cloth and a solid roof and I can not imagine a predator being able to get through. I would need a very large claw hammer to get in. The only animals that could get it would be a bear or a feral pig and I have an electric fence around the entire perimeter to discourage them.

5. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Is the hardware cloth on both sides?

6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

1 side will be fine as long as it's attached strongly to the one side with screws and fender washers, or if it's an addition to something already up, and it's sewn into the existing wire good. Other than a bear attack, they'll be fine and very protected. If everyone had to double side the run area with hdware cloth, we would all be broke! [​IMG]

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours was originally designed as a dog run for a Boxer and two Pits. It is 5' wide X 55' long. One side is bordered by the house, the other side is privacy fence with chain link stapled 12" above ground 12" below then runs inward another 18". We have gates at each end. One leads to a concrete patio and the other has a two foot concrete apron.
    [​IMG]

8. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    My run is chain link on the outside of the 2x4 and chicken wire along the inside of the 2x4. No issues to date. We have Bear in the area so that could go through the chain link. The girls are in the coop all night, and back out in the AM.

We have an automatic door and we once found that the girls managed to unplug it and it must have gone about two weeks before i realized it - still no issues. Now we setup the plug so they can't get to it.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think if something is tearing through hardware cloth, then the wire is most likely being pulled out from the attachment point. I think many people don't attach their wire well enough to the frame. I just can't see an animal "tearing through" that type of wire. [​IMG] Even an extremely powerful animal like a bear - I see it pulling the wire off the frame near an attachment point, not ripping a hole through the center. So make sure your wire is well secured.
    If you're closing your birds inside a secure housing at night, you should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by