Predator proofing a high tunnel conversion to chicken run

Can you post pics of this tunnel you have? What size is it?
I'm in the design phase and am considering what to buy for my garden and whether to buy another for my run or whether to build a cattle panel style for that (the run, not the coop, that is going to be a shed). High tunnels tend to be wider than cattle panels can do but I can adjust the lengths whichever style I choose to get the total SQFT that I want. They also have accessories like roll up sides and a offer designs for snow loading as well as upper ventilation accessories, so I wouldn't have to DIY everything as I would for the cattle panel. I know there are cost differences, but that's the one thing I can calculate accurately! The ability of predators to outwit me I'm not confident I can calculate!

My question was basically about whether I need a metal mesh over the entire structure, which the cattle panel style provides, in order to exclude predators. So far the answers seem to agree that yes, I would need to add such a mesh, preferably hardware cloth, over the entire roof under the cover. And that in addition to the electric fence/buried apron which I would need anyway for either style. I'm thinking the manufacturers can tell me whether they could handle the added weight of the hardware cloth.

The cover configurations for snow/rain/sun protection, ventilation and temperature control are adjustable seasonally and I think would be the same with either choice, just with more DIY needed for the cattle panel.

Oh ok. If you haven't purchased anything yet, I'd think you would save money by going the hoop run route. Both new or DIY are going to need HC. The door, or end of a green house isn't going to be predator proof either, so that's going to need thought out, unless you're not worried about entering the run from the coop only. Hoops made from cattle panels will be 8' wide and a tad over 6' high. Tighter you make it the taller it becomes.
It's not difficult to add a ridge beam to the hoop, making it withstand heavy snow loads. I've had 2' of wet snow on mine will no issues at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20190319_163117140.jpg
    IMG_20190319_163117140.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190319_142250427.jpg
    IMG_20190319_142250427.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Oh ok. If you haven't purchased anything yet, I'd think you would save money by going the hoop run route. Both new or DIY are going to need HC. The door, or end of a green house isn't going to be predator proof either, so that's going to need thought out, unless you're not worried about entering the run from the coop only. Hoops made from cattle panels will be 8' wide and a tad over 6' high. Tighter you make it the taller it becomes.
It's not difficult to add a ridge beam to the hoop, making it withstand heavy snow loads. I've had 2' of wet snow on mine will no issues at all.
I think the cattle panel hoop run has won and I'm going to do the same as you have with the ridge beam. It's great to know that it can handle snow! Thanks for the help! At least now I've got a plan for summer and some coops and runs to copy :)

Back
Top Bottom