Predator proofing, apron or buried

This is related to predator proofing.... I want my completely enclosed run to have a people door that opens INTO the run. I have seen a lot of pics and can see how having the door open OUT of the run is safer, but does anyone have ideas on how to keep the chicks safe but still let me into the space?

Yes, opening out is safer. Do you mean how to keep the chickens from shooting out the door when you open it to enter? If you're worried about that just throw a handful of scratch into the center of the run before you open the door. They'll go for the scratch every time.

My coop door opens outward and the girls come to greet me but have never tried to get past me. Yet. I think it's because they know that I probably have something in my hand to feed them when I get inside.

The run that I just built has pallets on edge, then 1x 2 welded wire 4' high. Then I put 1/2 inch weld wire up 2 feet, Then I put an apron of 1 inch chicken wire, 12 inches up and 12 inches out. I then put stone from an old stone wall on top of the apron.
I have weasals and I hope this is over kill!!!

The run that I just built has pallets on edge, then 1x 2 welded wire 4' high. Then I put 1/2 inch weld wire up 2 feet, Then I put an apron of 1 inch chicken wire, 12 inches up and 12 inches out. I then put stone from an old stone wall on top of the apron.
I have weasals and I hope this is over kill!!!
I hope so too, but, weasels can climb. Is the run covered?

A wide apron would be much easier to install and achieve the same results. A dog can easily dig a tunnel under a fence in a few hours. We added pavers at the door locations for our outdoor kennels. Once had a big German Shepherd tunnel under a gate to get to the other side. The dogs will dig a deep hole in no time if they smell a rodent underground or if they are obsessed with getting a chicken. The apron will do the job and easy enough to cover with an inch or so of soil. No need to do massive trenching.

For runs in snow country, it's better if the run door opens out. Otherwise, snow inside the run can block it from opening. Even with a covered run, snow will still blow in from the sides. With a covered run I don't need to shovel as often, but I still need to shovel at times.

I'm super paranoid right now since a raccoon recently climbed my tall run and slaughtered one of my babies (caged separately in the run until she got bigger) . Since the incident I have secured the top with a wire roof and made sure the sliding coop door was pressed all the way down so there was no gap for prying coon fingers to lift up. I'm just now concerned about the bottom, from the thread so far an apron would work with maybe some cinder blocks or stones on top?

My run is completely enclosed in 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth, top, bottom and sides. It may be over kill, but it withstood a three hour attack, recorded on my game cam, by two large labs who were determined to have a chicken dinner. They jumped on it, clawed it and dug under it, but could not get in. We also have raccoons, bobcats, possums, fox, hawks and owls, so to me it is worth the extra cost for the peace of mind.

I do have a large area that is fenced with welded wire and covered with netting that I feel is safe enough when I am home, but my girls love to dig and a foot and a half is nothing to them. I constantly have to fill in the hole. I realize not everyone has the light sandy soil that we do, so digging might not be a problem for everyone.
Can I ask... Did you put the wire on the bad of the run and if so how did it affect your chickens. I had thought about it but worried the wires would cause Injury

Back
Top Bottom