Predator proofing cattle panels used for run?

Cover panels with what ever sized mesh is appropriate for your 'threats'.
Apron is good idea, but I'd go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1 instead of HC, it'll last much longer.

Thanks. I am looking into the welded wire rather than hc. However, I know there are weasels and minks in our area. I’ve never seen any. In fact never heard of them being in the area - until I got chickens. Now, I’m weasel paranoid. We live in an area surrounded by lakes, but the nearest one is about a 1/2 mile from us. A co-worker of mine just lost 2 of her chickens to a mink. But, they live very close to a pond.
I think I need to just let the chickens have a bit more freedom and quit worrying so much (plus stay out of the predator forum.) lol
I will protect them as much as possible and of course have them secured at night.

I let the girls out to run around the interior of the cattle panels yesterday and a bit today. Guess what? They can slip right through the cattle panels. I didn even think of that. Good thing I didn’t leave them unattended. I decided it was time for them to go back in and the IBs all ran into the run when I shook the container of mealworms and a bit of corn. But, not the EE. I was standing on the wrong side of the door and she kept avoiding me. So, it’s was a game of who is smarter. I almost didn’t win. ;)
But, I got JellyBean back in and they are all snug and secure in their coop for the night.
The weather is going to remain nice until next week so I need to get working on that welded wire so that they can enjoy some more free time!
37108B66-9D8F-4E0B-B6AD-927F4695EC70.jpeg
BAA73B49-78DE-4E71-A8EE-74D0750CCBD9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom