Predator Proofing for the Night

Sweetp528

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
We are building a chicken coop / chicken run for our 8 chicks that will need to go outside soon. We have a 6ft x 4ft coop that will have a 2 windows and a door for the hens to enter. The run is 32ft x 8ft wide , which we have 4x4 post which we will attach wire to (burried at the bottom / netting or wired on the top). My question is: Is it necessary to "lock" the hens in the Chicken Coop at night or can they be allowed to roam free in the run, considering that it should be predator proof (buried wiring , 6 ft tall, wire cover on top), .. assuming that during the evening, the chicks will go to the coop to roost. The Coop will be inside the wired run.

I vote for locking them in at night. You sound like you have the Fort Knox of coops, but... Your run will constantly be tested, and something will eventually get in. The predators have nothing better to do than try to get to your delicious, delicious chickens all night long. They will work at it until they succeed. It's just safer to lock them in at night.
Good luck.
big_smile.png

Yes, lock them up at night. I go out every evening at just after sunset, (it's still light outside) and say "goodnight girls and boys" and shut the hen house door. Just like my grandmother used to do when I was a pup.

DonnaBelle

Back
Top Bottom