Predator Proofing my Run

BuffOrps416

Songster
Apr 11, 2015
Hugging my chicken in Southern N.E.
Hello. I have two chickens that are 1.75 years old and they live in a 4 by 4 coop which is on one side of my open topped run which is about 15 by 23 feet. The other day, while my girls were free ranging a falcon swooped down, luckily I scared it away and I've seen this falcon once again. I want to make my run more secure and make it covered, but I want to do it as efficiently and inexpensively as possible. On one side of the run there is a tall fence probably 5 ft. 3 in. tall and there is one about 4'9 perpendicular to it. There are two trees parallel to each other that I could maybe attach wire to, but it snows a lot in midwinter and I'm afraid it might collapse. What should I do?

Hello? Anyone there?
hu.gif

big_smile.png

You might want to post pictures. Also, if you have trees, I'm thinking your chickens have places to hide. I've heard others use avian netting. I myself have chicken wire and tarps over angled PVC framing. Still, if you post a picture, you might get a better response.
big_smile.png

Hello. I have two chickens that are 1.75 years old and they live in a 4 by 4 coop which is on one side of my open topped run which is about 15 by 23 feet. The other day, while my girls were free ranging a falcon swooped down, luckily I scared it away and I've seen this falcon once again. I want to make my run more secure and make it covered, but I want to do it as efficiently and inexpensively as possible. On one side of the run there is a tall fence probably 5 ft. 3 in. tall and there is one about 4'9 perpendicular to it. There are two trees parallel to each other that I could maybe attach wire to, but it snows a lot in midwinter and I'm afraid it might collapse. What should I do?
If your main fear is aerial predators during the day (chickens locked up at night), then aviary netting over the top would work well.

I used Aviary netting 50X50 was about $60 on Amazon. we used old hose pieces to attach it around their tree.

I can get a close up of tree later if you like.

It snows a lot where I live… would aviary netting collapse under all the weight? That's what I'm worried about… last year we had like four feet from one snow storm and our coop has a flat roof, but it is easy to scrape the snow off of it; it the same with that netting?

It snows a lot where I live… would aviary netting collapse under all the weight? That's what I'm worried about… last year we had like four feet from one snow storm and our coop has a flat roof, but it is easy to scrape the snow off of it; it the same with that netting?
I'll let someone from an area with heavy snow chime in, but you would need some light cross supports if your run is wider than, say, 4 feet. This could be coated wire run back and forth between hooks, or something similar. Or possibly 1x2"s since you get a lot of snow.

I'd consider the 2" aviary netting, as the bigger openings would allow snow, and certainly many leaves through.
And I guess if the feedback is that snow does pull netting down, then you would want wood supports, or at least chicken wire across the top.

I'd do a search for aviary netting and snow on BYC and see what you find.

Last edited:
I would think the holes are big enough for snow to fall through but it doesn't really snow here so I have no actual experience with that. I have noticed that in the fall the leaves will occasionally get all matted up on top of it and then when it rains they become very heavy and my net will stretch as low as about four feet off the ground (the fence is 8ft) with out breaking. I usually just take a leaf blower and blow them off. I have only had to do this twice as usually the storms take care of it for me.

Samantha LW, do you use avian netting?

If so, I'll probably use that seeing as it doesn't seem to break/snap easily. I'll put a wooden support in the middle, but where else should I attach the net to. The back fence in this picture is not mine, so I want to make sure I don't have anything attached to it.

Here are the best pictures I could take while not going outside (it's raining). Sorry, the trampoline's in the way :)

Back
Top Bottom