Predator proofing run - bury hardware cloth or extend it out two feet?

we built our run to sit atop 4x6 pressure treated timbers underneath which we laid hardware cloth extending outward 18 inches.........see pics on big cyg members page this forum

floridagramps - amazing coop and run! Did you attach the hardware cloth to the underside of the 4x6 in any way (i.e. staple) or is it secured by the weight of the frame? Thanks.

Thanks to gods above and below for this post!!!!!!!!!!!! I was dreading the idea of digging down 2!!!! Tartarus feet. and i have soft loamy soil i will now be lifting sod easily and laying wire down. thanks you so very much.

The spot where my coop sits is DENSE with pine trees and some sort of wild vine. Their roots make digging nearly impossible. Around the coop, I laid hardware cloth on the ground and will be covering it with crush & run (sort of crushed gravel.. driveway base..). For the run, I plan to just use the 2"x3" welded wire (have lots on hand) for the fencing and for the apron on the ground.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I had and old roll of 4 foot chain link fence. I took my plasma cutter and cut it in half so I have two 2 foot strips and will attach it to the bottom of my back chain link fence. I guess bolt cutters would cut it and might be able to find old fencing on Craigslist to use cheap.

if you dig a shallow trench maybe 6 in. around coop fence fill with chicken wire. put stone pavers around outside of coop 2 ft. wide, thats 2ft. predetors with have to digg only to get snagged by the chicken wire. this should keep ypur chickens safe.

Back
Top Bottom