Predator proofing your chicken tractor for broilers

Peep Nerd

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
I am planning for building tractors for broilers and am confused. It seems like nobody secures the bottom of the tractors for broilers, like they do for their layers. Am I missing something? lol
Something would dig under and kill my birds in a day or two.
Thanks!

I think what is off is your perception that it is 100%. It's not. Some people that use tractors for broilers provide dig protection, some don't. Some provide bird of prey protection, some don't. The same thing is true for tractors for layers, some do and some don't. Some people that do not provide one or either can go years without issues, some will almost immediately be attacked. That's the problem when talking about predators and predator protection. You never know when a predator will attack, it might be today, it might be years away. You don't know how good your predator protection is until it is tested. If it is good enough you may not even know it was tested.

There is nothing magical about broilers that protect them from predators, which I think is your question. The only difference is that the broilers are only going to be there for a couple of months before you process them while layers are there full time. The longer they are there the more likely you are to have an attack. That is no protection, it is just odds. If you are uncomfortable without dig protection then provide it. You are certainly justified, it is a real risk.

Back
Top Bottom