predator proofing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rhythmicgoldfish, Apr 21, 2009.

1. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    i need to build a truly predator proof winter capable coop it will be in a heavily wooded area and we have fisher cats nearby

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    That's pretty much what I did. Basically I built an 8X8 shed. Windows all have hardware cloth, as do the soffit vents. At some point I'll actually post photos.
    I was worried about fishers, fox, coyote, hawks, raccoons, etc. No problems yet with any of those, but the neighbor's dogs have carried off 4 birds so far (in broad daylight, right under my nose.)

I think the run is harder to make predator-proof than the actual coop.
    Good luck!

3. Motel Chix

Motel Chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Run a electric fence around the base about 6-8 inches off the ground, use solar charger if you don't have electric ran to the coop. Wild animals hate electric and can almost smell it. I have seen tracks from racoon's foxes and coyotes, they walk about 6-10 feet away from the coop and run in the winter. You can see the yellow insulators in the Picture.
    Never lost one.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

4. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    thanks for the input i am also looking to preditor proof and winter proof the run

5. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:We have fisher cats, coyotes, hawks, you name it...Our chicken house isn't quite done yet. It will be done this weekend, but here is our post of ours. Ill update it later this weekend, and show you what else we are doing to keep predators out..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167161

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by