Predator Proofing?

AppleCrisp

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Hello. I might be getting chickens soon.
big_smile.png
I want to build a coop and a run. My problem is we have coyates in the area. How can I keep them away and out of the coop?
I don't really want the chickens to invite the coyates to loiter around my yard :eek:
big_smile.png
lol.
Any ideas would help, and what would be a good fence to fence the chickens? I was thinking chicken wire or something.
roll.png

And what to cover the coop with?
Help please?

Thanks
big_smile.png

id build my henhouse out of tin.an use welded wire for the run.its alot stronger than chicken wire.an you can bury the wire 3 or in 4in deep.an that should keep them from digging under.

We live in AZ with lotsa coyotes! Our runs are 6.6' tall. All covered. 4x4 treated post with 2x4 cross bars. Fencing is chicken wire on the top half and hardward cloth on the bottom half. Each post is cemented in and the wire along the bottom is sunk 6" and cemented in also and also cement strip in front of each gate.
Main run is built the same but with metal post and cross bars.
Hope this helps
Jacie

We used cattle panels, covered in chicken wire and hardware cloth, to make our run. It's proven to be predator proof in the 10 months that our main flock has been residing in it. If we had it to do all over again, we'd use nothing but hardware cloth for the run as chicken wire keeps chickens in but does little to keep predators out.

You can see pix of our run by clicking on the playhouse/cattle panel run link down in my signature.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom