Predator turns out to be prey

Airplaneguy57

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Rio Medina Texas
My neighbor a couple houses down from me has American game chickens. Since the hens run all over the place I thought it would be neat to add some of the hens to my flock of BOs. One went broody and hatched 8 really cute babies. So I reached into the nest like I do with my girls. After getting pecked several times I thought I would get a stick and nudge her off the nest. I got her off and thought I was home free. OMG she is attaching me. I start back peddling and finely get far enough away. So I get my net and trap her and collect the chicks. I get ready to release her and then notice she has spurs about an inch long. And sharp. I then notice my leg is bleeding. DW and admire the babies but decide to return them back tomom. Man they are mean. I like by babies a whole lot more after the attack.

Boy does your post bring back memories. When I was in highschool my aunt gave me a broodie OEG hen and a nest full of eggs for her to hatch. When I went to pull her off the nest and gather the chics she jumped on my back when I had my head turned. She had a very nice set of spurs like yours and she sunk one in my back and was stuck. I can't tell you how bad it hurt to have her stuck in my shoulder and flapping around trying to get free! Ahhh the memories!

Game hens make about the most aggressive broody mamas. I have been spurred by a tiny bantam game hen who was defending her chicks when I made one holler (I picked it up - not a happy baby and a REALLY unhappy mama)

Welcome to the world of games!
big_smile.png

A good reminder to me why I DON"T have game birds ! Espicially with kids who love to pick up and handle the chickens and their babies.

Though they are nice looking
smile.png

The thing here is, this is when people sadly think they're aggressive. They're not, they're just REALLY good moms.
smile.png
Sorry to hear of your attack though, but you've gotta give credit to a momma hen that determined. Imagine how good that would be to have for a self sufficient free ranging owner.

Quote:
Na - its just that my kids are used to silkies - and my commets - who are extremely easy going. I also wouldn't want to take a chance for them to get attacked like that by a mommy chicken
smile.png
It's not that I think they are like that all the time - I do understand it's the broody thing - but still dangerous for a kid nonetheless. We just like the fat doscile lazy hens that my son can carry around with him
smile.png

I do admire that type of determination though ! Wouldn't want to be the animal trying to eat her babies ! Yikes
smile.png

I think she a super mom. The most important thing I learned is all chickens are not alike. I have heard I'd batams attacking but never saw it. I've done that and more. If mom was that agressive what are the Roos like? I'm going to have our first grand child and want to make sure he isn't attacked either. Heck I have a Tom turkey that hates my work clothes for some reason. His name was riddock. It's now thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom