Predator Watch #2 TONIGHT

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NC29mom, Aug 3, 2011.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    First, I had a predator killing my chicks. I think my fiance shot it. It hasn't been back. Still don't know what type predator it was because it only had it's head stuck out from under the barn when he shot it. We are thinking the shot blew it back under the barn. And, we can't get under the barn to see.

Today we found my fiance's HUGE rooster (BO) dead. His chicken pen is further from the house. Now, this rooster is a monster. There was an obvious fight. Feathers were everywhere. Herceles was dead. Only noted about a 4x3 area without any feathers noted around his neck. 2 hens a short distance away also dead. Same way. Appears maybe the predator climbed the fence...and Herceles met him and attacked. Fight ensued. Herceles lost. Now, this has got to be one heck of a predator. CAUSE HERCELES IS ONE HECK OF A ROOSTER. He kicked a hole in a thick plastic bucket one time. He's no wimp.

So..................tonight we wait. The chicken coop has a top floor. About 25ft off the ground. makes me nervous it's so high. Already got the chairs in place. Rifles loaded.

****Mess with my chickens............you mess with me********somethings getting a buckshot in the butt TONIGHT!***************

I'll keep everyone posted...

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Ooh how sad for your rooster and hens. [​IMG] i hope you get whatever it is..good luck!

3. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Looks like we will be sharing similar tasks. I hope you get the devil that killed yours. Geesh, it would be some consolation if they were killed for reasons of hunger at least, but to leave them dead....
    A coyote pack destroyed almost all of mine today while I was at work. Most are gone except for feathers, but I did find one dead bird in the woods.
    I am off tomorrow and I will be waiting.
    I never wanted to kill a living thing before today. But I certainly feel the same as you, now. My roosters and hens had names, too.

I know I will only get one, before the rest take off. [​IMG] I hope I am a good shot.

4. Oldfort_mailman

Oldfort_mailman "The Fortfather"

Jul 19, 2011
    cleveland tennessee
    I hope you get it and sorry for your loss. We have a raccoon coming every few nights and we almost got him by eletrocution last night so i am taking a vacation day tomorrow to stay up tonight and get it. I know you shouldnt want to kill something but i can't help but feel it has earned it. So good luck to all of us tonight and dont forget to take off the safety.

5. chickens & dogs

chickens & dogs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Sorry for your loss,I lost my big roo to a fox this year!its sad when this happends....[​IMG]

6. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    It's very sad. I have cried almost every day now for a week and a half. I told my fiance....I just can't take this ANYMORE! [​IMG] Something HAS TO BE DONE! And, it really does bother me the predator just killed them for "sport". Not for a meal. Just for sport. I am a HUGE animal lover. I keep dog/cat food in my trunk in case I see a stray while going to work and such. But, I have absolutely NO SYMPTHAY for this animal.

I just counted my fiances BO's. He only has 24 left. He had over 100. Devestating. Appalling. Cruel. Nonsense. A waste of life........ I just know my Herceles went down swinging. he was a tough rooster. Just disheartens me to think he laid there dying while hearing the predator kill the rest of his friends. makes me cry now......[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

back outside....

7. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Good Luck!!! I'm rooting for you.....

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Y,all have a fair number of coyotes down your way most trappers do not trap coyotes because of the fox laws the laws change from county to county down your way I used to run down 258 years ago to visit family down your way I even know where como is LOL you need to find a local trapper and let the work on the local population during trapping season. the less preds you have the easier it is to exclude them. there is a population of red wolf over at alligator river refuge you may be seeing one from there too it will kina look like a coyote with a reddish coat

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Wow!!! Thats alot of birds. I'd be on the war path as well.

10. NC29mom

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    At about midnight...by fiance gave up. I was so mad! [​IMG]

Of course, this AM, there were 11 more dead chickens.................... I'm speechless (these chickens are his......we each have our own seperate chickens/barns/pens....BUT STILL...it's a life)

By the way.....what kind of dog is it you can get to protect your flock? I heard there was a certain one that was really good....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by