Predator?

hirschykiss

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
We had our first and hopefully last attack. This morning I found my orpington mama and her 2 baby chicks dead. There wasn't much left of the mom. Wings, feet, ribs, lots of feathers every where, and her head about 10 ft. from the body. The chicks were left whole and uneaten. Any ideas what it could have been? Racoon possibly???

Oh, no! So sorry. It was probably a coon. I am plagued with them and am contantly trapping them. How do you think it got to your chickens? Did it get into the coop?

Its usually always a Racoon.

I had a buff broody stray too far from the coop one day and had to work late. needless to say she wasnt in the coop with her 4 babies when I got home at 10pm. I searched the surrounding woods the best I could but they are pretty thick and there is no light by my coop. The next morning I was outside at first light. Momma came back but with no chicks. She had all sorts of scratches and wounds where she must have tried to fight something away from her babies....I felt so bad that she want through all that without a baby to show for it that I went to TSC and got her 6 new chicks that she happily adopted....

Hope you find and get revenge on whatever got your girl.

Thanks! I have don't know how it got in. We have a 6 ft. fence around the pen but it didn't have a closed top. It does now! Possibly there. What ever it was, was in the coop because that is were most of the feathers were. But mom and babies were all found in the pen not the coop. Thank God we didn't lose more because it could have wiped out our whole flock. She was such a good mama this was her first cluch and will be missed! My dog kept wanting out last night but we figured he was just looking for trouble. Turns out he knew something was going on. I may put up the camera I bought for my husband and see if what ever it is comes back for more tonight.

They will climb a fence easy!!! Get you a trap and take them to the animal shelter. They put them to sleep. I take coons there all the time. 12 in the last 2 months! Even if you think your chicks are safe, they almost always can find a way. They are crafty, strong and smart!

barnie.gif

After also picking off my female malard we caught that murderer! He won't be eating my ladies any more! The chicken buffet is closed. One very large coon is now DEAD! Hopefully that was the only one.

Back
Top Bottom