Predators for Country Birds

Jul 15, 2020
Washington State 8a/8b
Hello! I'm Cas and I currently live in the suburbs, we have a family of bald eagles and a few groups of hawks who frequent over but besides them and ONCE in the entire keeping of chickens here for years, we had one opossum. I know theres bigger badder things out in the country, and thats where I'd eventually love to move to.

I've never had to deal with coyotes, foxes, raccoons, neighbors dogs, (and technically opossums I guess too!) and the such, is there anything that would be really good to know? I'm still a while off from moving out to the country but pre-planning isn't always bad! :)

I know some general safety things (mostly for raccoons vs quail), we made our current coop predator proof and have had no issues (the opossum one was our fault :'c) but our predators we have in the suburbs are more 'opportunistic' rather than like a fox or dog digging into a coop or run to get to birds...

So what would be your main recommendations or suggestions for coop planning, in general or from specific experiences you've had <3
(hoping to keep quail, chicken, pigeon, turkey and muscovy if it makes any specific differences :D)

Maybe your ground predator population is low due to those Eagles, and Hawks.??? :idunno
Wherever you decide to relocate to, check and ask what predators are present. In your general area, you may have to deal with bears also.
Build a secure coop and keep chickens and other flock animals, locked up in the nighttime hours.
Build a large run area, and I suggest electrified fencing. That is in addition to regular fencing, and netting to protect from flying raptors.
If you do keep pigeons,,,,,,, and intend to fly them, consider the fact, that you are likely to encounter losses. Especially since you are in area with hawks. Eagles are not quite as swift to catch pigeons. If you decide to loft fly them a few time per week, consider doing it at a time when hawk presence is least. Many of members seen here (BYC) do fly their flocks for a short time before evening, with success. This is an assumption that the predators already caught their lunch/dinner earlier in the day.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Your predator assemblage is likely very similar to what your rural counterparts have. It just has not shown itself well, or you have not been looking hard. Assume the worst and work from there.

Back
Top Bottom