Pregnant goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Souperchicken, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    I'm pretty sure Coco is pregnant, but wanted to share some photos and what you all think. I saw Bucky try to breed her in August, but wasn't sure if he was successful. Later one of our friends saw them breed in November, but I do question what he really saw and If so, she wouldn't be due until April. Can they breed twice? She looks like she's showing. Isnt it typical for them not to show until the last month? What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    It would help more if you had a 'before' picture. It doesn't look like she is showing. To me, it looks like she had a good fill up on hay. She barely looks wider than your buck. I doubt she was bred in August and is due any week now. A November breeding would not be showing now. But you could do a blood test by now to check, as you can pull blood when she is 30 days bred to know.

Since the buck lives with her, there is no true way to tell her due date. What if he bred her when nobody was around to watch? Which is why I keep does and bucks separate, except for when they have a date when a doe is in heat. They are together for one day only, and which makes knowing the exact day a doe is due easy.

When she gives birth you will need to keep her and her kids separate from that buck. He will breed her as soon as he can after she gives birth. Back to back pregnancies are incredibly unhealthy for does. Being constantly pregnant and lactating will stress and wear her out. He will also breed any daughters as soon as he can, and they start their first heats far too young for a safe and healthy pregnancy. Not to mention inbreeding. Get him a wether for a buddy so he isn't lonely.

3. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you sharing that info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by