Premature chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ehlena99, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Ehlena99

Ehlena99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    I'm hatching 33 mixed eggs for a class at my school. Every time we candled I thought it looked like they were behind. I'm using the little giant incubator- which I'm not happy with. For the second year in a row we've had problems keeping a specific temp. I know, I know, I get what I pay for. Anyway, I had 3 of the chicks hatch today and all 3 were still attached to the egg and had distended bellies. Is it possible for chicks to get out prematurely? The are weak, but are peeping and moving around a bit . I gave them some electrolyte solution mixed with some food. I have no other chicks out but there are at least 2 more pipping. Does this have something to do with the wonky temps? Or something else I could fix?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I am on day 20 of my incubation (I also have a little giant-mine is forced air-so far I have 17 hatched) one of my hatches today decided that he did not want to give nature a chance to do it's job and busted out of the very top of it's egg w/out all the yolk absorbed and a very bloody gooey cord/membrane attatchment. So can they get out prematurely, absolutely. It is not abnormal or uncommon however to have the egg goo/ white cord still stuck to the egg. A chicks egg naturally looks distended because of the yolk absorption before hatching. While it can be abnormally distended due to complications, I would sooner think that yours is a normal distension, though I could be wrong. I'm not seeing what you are.

3. Ehlena99

Ehlena99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Thanks! Yes, I think I was jumping the panic gun a little early.... after a day it was not as noticeable- I think that since they are so wet it looks worse than when they dry out. I still have a very low hatch rate.... 12 out of 33 ( 26 that I know were developing) and lost two chicks overnight, so it's frustrating. I just do not remember watching the chicks almost "poop" out yolk from that 'belly button' area before. Weird!

Anyway, thank you for the answer!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by