Preparing for Barred Chocolate Orpington Project!

Tigress

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
You know those swirly milk chocolate/white chocolate hershey kisses? I was eating some of those while checking my other thread and then it came to me...
lol.png

I want to try to make Barred Chocolate Orpingtons! I'd have to import half of the parents, though, and manage to keep some Chocolate Orpingtons separated in another pen so I can produce pure Chocolate Orpingtons aside from the crosses.

Here's what I got on the chicken calculator, correct me if I'm wrong please:

Chocolate (Orp) X Barred (Corrected: Rock instead of Cochin) = 50% Black Unicolor Barred (Split Chocolate) and 50% Chocolate Unicolor
Black Unicolor Barred (Split Chocolate) Mutt x Chocolate Orp = 25% Black Unicolor Barred, 25% Black Unicolor Barred (Split Chocolate), 50% Chocolate Unicolor Barred

Is this right?

And then of course I'd have to work on the clean leg thing...

Another thing, last week my mom got an awesome new job and we are looking at moving sometime before next January, so as soon as we move I can import these guys! Isn't that great?
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Oh, and I'll also import two or three other things with the Chocolate Orps, I just won't tell you what they are until they get here
wink.png
I have decided what I want now.

Last edited:
Use a barred rock, not a cochin. They are more similar in type to an Orp & it will take less work to get back to the Orp look.

If I used a Barred Rock I would get sex-linked offspring, right? I suck at understanding the sex-linked genes for some reason. But if they were sex-linked it would be SO much easier.

Could someone walk me through what I would get if I used a Barred Rock roo vs a Barred Rock hen? In both generations if possible?

I'm expirimenting with the suggestion of Lemon Cuckoo and Chocolate as well, will post that after I figure it out.

Thanks!

Edit: whoops meant black not chocolate
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom