Preparing for my first broody...what do I need to know?

minou33

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Colorado
I spend a lot of time with my girls and feel as if my wyandotte is showing signs of going broody. I've had chickens for 3 years and this will be my first. She's spending more time in the box hissing but not sitting all day yet...she is making more strange sounds, puffing up, and bald on her chest. What am I in for?? I don't want chicks this year so she won't be getting any eggs/chicks. I'm fine if she wants to sit in the box all day but it is HOT in there and I'm afraid she'll scare all the other hens away from the nesting boxes.

If you don't already have a dog crate or something similar, I'd see about getting one. No reason to let her sit in a hot coop for nothing, and while I don't think she'd scare the other hens away from laying, it can cause some strife in the flock, so all the more reason to break her in this case.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

I second that. It can also be “contagious” as well. Once one starts others may follow, I just went through something similar myself where it started with 1 and I then had 5 broody at the same time. Best to break her fast if you don’t plan on letting her hatch them.
How do you break them? Just prevent them from sitting on the nest?

How do you break them? Just prevent them from sitting on the nest?
There’s a lot of different methods. The article that rosemarythyme posted by aart is really helpful.

The main idea is to make them uncomfortable and to cool them down.

If you don’t want to put them in a broody jail then you’ll need to keep removing her from the nest and set her down where she’ll have to move a good distance to get back or carry her around a bit and then set her down. Honestly I’ve had good luck just doing that except for one really stubborn hen but you’ll have to be there moving them frequently as they try to return to the nest pretty quickly.

Another way I broke two of them is waiting till everyone laid for the day and then letting them out to free range and blocking the coop for a few hours, that broke them in one day.

It all comes down to your situation and what works best for you and what your comfortable with doing.

How do you break them?

Maybe you missed the link that was posted?

If you don't already have a dog crate or something similar, I'd see about getting one. No reason to let her sit in a hot coop for nothing, and while I don't think she'd scare the other hens away from laying, it can cause some strife in the flock, so all the more reason to break her in this case.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

Just one thing to consider when breaking a broody: Hens tend to gain weight to get them through the long brooding period, and being too fat makes them susceptible to fatty liver hemorrhage. Because I know I have hens that tend to obesity and I've already established that my flock has suffered fatty liver losses before, I just let mine sit 21 days for the weight loss benefits. I always monitor them throughout to make sure they take breaks, especially on very hot days, but breaking them without sitting could leave them with the extra weight/potential health issues (if they already tend to be heavy.)

Best of luck with your broody whichever route you go!

Back
Top Bottom