Preparing for our first butchering this Sunday

Here's a link to some great info on scalding, http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-properly-scald-chicken-my-never.html , which is essential for getting a good pluck. It's from Kimball's blog on how to butcher a chicken, he's the guy who invented the Whizbang Plucker, so I don't see any info on hand plucking. But once you get a good scald it's about like cleaning the lint trap in your dryer. Some folks like to use those cloth garden gloves that have the little rubber dots. Try & set up a place to pluck where the birds can hang in front of you (like from a tree branch or fence post) so you can use both hands to pluck.

I'm not sure just how fast rigor mortis sets in, but know it doesn't take long to dispatch & bleed out a chicken. There's no need to pile up a number of dead chickens faster than you can pluck & clean them. And there's always the risk that something will occur to prevent you from finishing them all in one day. I know you're hesitant to do the actual killing, it does take some time to grow accustomed to it. Perhaps you and/or Young Mister -- and who knows, maybe even Young Miss -- may find yourselves more able to handle it than you thought. I try to think of it as "helping them cross to The Other Side of the Road".

At 8 weeks most of your Cornish Xs should be able to last another week without keeling over on their own. I don't think 9 weeks is too old. Start with your biggest ones and the smaller ones should be fine for another week if you must leave them.

For cleaning the carcasses I like the method shown by the Custer family. You can use that method even if you don't skin your birds. I think everyone removes the crop, but some folks keep the neck. Watch how that Custer gal cuts into & cleans out that bird, she pulls everything towards the back then carefully cuts around the vent & tailbone to get it all free. I will turn the bird on his side so gravity holds the gut bundle down & away from my knife. Look at what a short & sharp knife she uses. Even though you'll withhold feed there still may be some stuff in the intestines, & it's possible some will come out while you're cleaning a bird. Don't panic, just try to yank everything out quickly & hose out the cavity really well. The meat should be fine.

pop.gif
Was today THE day? How did it go?
caf.gif

lol my 14 yo daughter wont help with butchering birds so she watchs her lttle brother 18months while my wife and I do the work
my 10yo son will until he gets bored
well thats how its working the year before
this year i did them all cause my days off the kids were at school so the wife had to watch the little guy o well a few a day and they are all in the freezer now:lol:

I'm so sorry i didn't see this post earlier.

I just did my first butchering - alone - a couple of weeks ago.

As to gloves, i didn't use the gloves for most of it, and i regretted it because i couldn't get the chicken gut smell off of my hands.

It also took me one very long day to do just 3.

I'm really glad you have a team and can't wait to hear how it's going. I'm sure you're probably up to your elbows in guts right now. Hope you're almost done.
thumbsup.gif

Awww, Pumpkinpeep, I wish we lived closer, I'd come help you with your butchering. Will Mister help you next time? Otherwise, perhaps there's another BYCer, or neighbor or friend, who would be willing to help, or at least keep you company & fetch tools & cold drinks for you. I am fortunate to have a friend who is willing to come over whenever she can when I have butchering to do. It sure helps that she will pitch in with all the work, but the best thing is to at least have someONE to talk to besides the dead chickens, and someone to provide extra hands where needed. Another bonus of getting together during a butchering session is that the kids will leave us ALONE to talk uninterrupted!

Besides the use of gloves, what else did you learn that will help you make the next session go better/faster/smoother?

Thanks, Sunny!
smile.png

It wasn't so bad. And it was kind of nice to figure it out at my own pace, you know, without the all-knowing husband (with zero experience) telling me how to do it. I just do better learning things at my own pace at first. Also, i'm now the coolest wife in the world according to his pals at work 'cause they all heard about how i butchered three roosters on my own while he was working.
lol.png
They were not planned - but given to us, as unwanted annoying roosters by a co-worker. And we needed to process them right away. We were hurried to process asap when they woke us up crowing at 2:30 a.m.

If you like a long read, i wrote about it here .

We have two more to do after Christmas. They're cockerels who haven't made the cut. I told the hubby when we need to do it and asked him if he wants to do the cutting and bleeding this time, and he said he would.
wink.png
We'll see how that goes.

One of my biggest problems was that i had no sharp tools for any part of the process. That has been remedied, and i expect a much easier experience this time.

The other thing was that i didn't realize how important the water temperature would be for scalding. Very important. Now i know.

The thing i learned when i was getting ready to actually cook them - is that i hate pin feathers, and that we need to burn them off next time. I never really knew what pin feathers were before. Now i know.

I do have a friend who could've and probably would've come over and helped just for the experience. But this was so unplanned. My husband came home with these chickens after dark one night, and i butchered them the very next day.

I'm happy i did it alone. In the future, if i have to do it alone, i won't feel unprepared.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom