Preparing for "The Talk" w/neighbors

Quote:
My feelings exactly. Nobody asks their neighbors when they want to get a new dog, so why should I have to ask to get chickens? I got mine last spring without asking, barely anyone noticed, and the ones who did are unconcerned. I bet my neighbors two doors away have no idea they're even here.

Here are the local laws that relate to chickens - the first is more general, but the wording on "keeping chickens" seems to really put the law in the hands of anyone who wants to complain. Obviously we CAN keep chickens as long as no one is disturbed. But who knows what might be considered a nuisance. This is why I wanted to at least talk with my neighbors first. I think it will help keep the peace in the long run.

8.12.010 Keeping of animals that disturb the peace.
A. It is unlawful for any person to keep any animal, dog, bird or fowl which, by causing frequent or loud continued noise, disturbs the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity.

8.12.020 Keeping of chickens.
No person shall keep chickens within the metropolitan government area in such a manner that a nuisance is created.

On the other hand, it might be worth it to wait until we already have the adorable, irresistible, fluffy chicks and can show them the very fine henhouse/run that dh has built. It would be a shame to break the children's hearts and get rid of them....
wink.png

Yes, why should one person get to define nuisance for everyone? Some people are bothered when others sneeze, for heavens sake! To me, a barking dog is a nuisance. Guns firing at midnight for no apparent reason is a nuisance. Music blaring outside is a nuisance. ATVs roaring up and down my private roads are a nuisance. BUT, let a rooster crow, the most natural sound in the world and one snotty jerk-face says his beauty sleep was disturbed and suddenly, he's in charge of everyone else's lives! Burns me up! :thun
That did happen to my friend HenHaven here. Her covenants said she could breed chickens, BREED them, meaning she had to have a rooster. Well, they crow! One jerky neighbor kept calling animal control. His rights trumped her rights, but why? WHY? After she sold the rooster, I told her to do this. Make a recording of a rooster crowing and play it all the time. Let him call animal control and every time they come out, say, "Rooster? What rooster? See for yourself-I dont have a rooster." Pretty soon, they'd ignore the nutcase and then she could get a REAL one again, LOL.

Suggesting deliberate civil disobediance - what a rebel!
clap.gif
duc.gif

My neighbors & I had instant accord - he asked me about his illegal _______ & I said what you do with your property has nothing do to with me.

Moselle: I agree with many of the posts about why give neighbors permission over your property and basically, lifestyle. I am glad you researched your zoning. But, call the Code Enforcement Officer (no need to tell your name/address) and ask him what constitutes a nuisance? We really should not have made our own problem by raising the chicks at home (with the intention of taking them to the farm 10 minutes away once they finally started laying eggs). It was awful for all of us to relocate them before we were ready and we knew we weren't zoned. We just thought we had decent neighbors, which they are not, and wouldn't care especially since they were kept so clean. Like our Code Enf Officer said, he has never seen such a well kept place for the chickens much less any other "allowable" animal. So just have a real chat so that you don't have to disappoint your kids if something were to go wrong. For example, let's say in your area for whatever reason, flies are abundant. Usually, for us, we get more flies when the farm nearby (just outside of the Village) spreads manure in warmer seasons. We sprayed to keep our flies away from our chickens not only to not cause a nuisance but they can spread disease to chickens. Anyway, a scenario could be, you get more flies this summer and it isn't even your fault. Could a neighbor constitute that as a nuisance? Sorry to sound negative but just trying to protect you from people who you may think are your friends but can turn on a dime and if they have the zoning to back them up, it is you who loses. The neighbor who turned us in gave us "Welcome Brownies" when we moved in 3 yrs ago. Never in a million, did I think she or anyone would be so heartless. But really, good luck.
smile.png
love.gif

Thank you, again, to everyone - you've given a lot a good advice. It IS sad that people might complain about a bit of chicken noise and you're pets could be gone in a flash. Blech. I will try to find out what might constitute a "nuisance".

Back
Top Bottom