Preparing new duck house/pen for winter

I know you do, I have thermometers in my houses to keep track of the temps[just me] I keep deep shavings on the floor even though all my ducks in this one particular house roost[Muscovy's] with the chickens. My other ducks snuggle into their shavings though as do my geese. If you see shivering or they look like the cold is getting to them by all means use some sort of heat but heat can also hurt them since they need to acclimate to the temps so if they go in at night to a warm shed then out side to freezing temps that cannot be good either. Ever worn down jacket of vest? or slept under a down comforter? Aww so nice and warm. :)

Here on the Funny Farm it gets pretty cold here at times...Brrrrr! -30C And Windchill.....Yikes!
I will run heat at -24C but never too warm...Around -2 just to cut the chill..We learn as we go...Nice fluffy bedding to hunker down into and out of wind is the best...
And that ain't funny goodness. Brrr

It hasn't gone below -11F since we've lived here (four years), but it can stay in the low teens and single digits Fahrenheit for days or weeks at a time. If it got so cold that I thought I needed to move the ducks into the house for a night or a few days, I could put them in the basement, where the temps get down into the 40s, so it would not as big a temperature difference as coming into the main part of the house would be.

Back
Top Bottom