Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

We stapled it all on first, and then attached what looks very similar to what you used...thin strips of particle-board-type wood...is that what's in the picture? I shall take some photos to share! Yours looks so cozy!
Well, I call them 'furring strips', the hardware store calls them lathe strips...cheap 4' strips of wood that come in bundles.

We get heavy winds that blow down off the east side of the Cascade Mountain Range off and on all winter long...almost makes me think I'm living in Montana for pete's sake!
gig.gif
The entire run is 'plastic'd' except for one 6' section so far. But as we are predicted for 12 degrees beginning tomorrow...up she goes! It's kind of hard to see, but the plastic is dropped down about 6-8 inches at the top so there's ventilation for the girls...yes, please post pics!
frow.gif

When should I wrap my pen with the plastic? Right now in CT it gets just below freezing at night and highs are near 50. Would it be too early to do so now? I have ducks not chickens and one is an Indian runner that gets cold easier than my Peking. They are only outside during the day and sleep in my basement at night.

I'd say it's better to do it now than take a chance with New England's unpredictable weather during this time of year.

I live in Washington and this week in particular is going to be in the high 20's low 30's should I put a light out for them???

Last edited:
OMG my chickens are so weird, LOL.

Couple days ago i wrapped the run in heavy plastic (ran out of clear so a portion is blue tarp) and for the first time, they now have nice cushy comfy pine shavings on the CONCRETE run (didn't have it before because of rain/wet) and don't you think they'd LOVE IT?

NO!!

i go down at around 10ish to let them free range (they free range all day pretty much) and some of them are still on their roost!!! Good grief!

Also they didn't like it when i replaced the huge planter saucer i had for their food (i FF and give dry pellets) for the 2 acrylic trays you see attached to the run because they smashed the food all over with the saucer so i think they mostly wait til i let them out and i feed them on our walkway. Good grief chickens are PICKY.

Anyway, i live in W. WA where it doesn't stay really really cold but we can have some cold snaps like the one coming up, with possible over night temps in the high 20's.

I have a board covering the opening next to their roost but the other door is open as you can see (i'm terrified of not having enough ventilation) and you can see the run is now secure but still has plenty (maybe too much?) ventilation so i don't think they're going to be getting drafts, i don't know if i should cover part of the doorway? Just really don't want respiratory problems.

They don't spend much time daily in the run or coop in the day, probably from about 4 hrs max (but now they think the run is Satan, LOL)

Any advice? (BTW feathers under the roost--molting!)

Last edited:
OMG my chickens are so weird, LOL.

Couple days ago i wrapped the run in heavy plastic (ran out of clear so a portion is blue tarp) and for the first time, they now have nice cushy comfy pine shavings on the CONCRETE run (didn't have it before because of rain/wet) and don't you think they'd LOVE IT?

NO!!

i go down at around 10ish to let them free range (they free range all day pretty much) and some of them are still on their roost!!! Good grief!

Also they didn't like it when i replaced the huge planter saucer i had for their food (i FF and give dry pellets) for the 2 acrylic trays you see attached to the run because they smashed the food all over with the saucer so i think they mostly wait til i let them out and i feed them on our walkway. Good grief chickens are PICKY.

Anyway, i live in W. WA where it doesn't stay really really cold but we can have some cold snaps like the one coming up, with possible over night temps in the high 20's.

I have a board covering the opening next to their roost but the other door is open as you can see (i'm terrified of not having enough ventilation) and you can see the run is now secure but still has plenty (maybe too much?) ventilation so i don't think they're going to be getting drafts, i don't know if i should cover part of the doorway? Just really don't want respiratory problems.

They don't spend much time daily in the run or coop in the day, probably from about 4 hrs max (but now they think the run is Satan, LOL)

Any advice? (BTW feathers under the roost--molting!)

Well, if your girls are anything like mine, at first they did NOT like their 'view' being blocked by the plastic...at all! But now they've resigned themselves to it and seem to be doing well. I'm wondering if that concrete slab is what might be bothering them? Concrete will retain the cold temps...dunno...just thinkin'
idunno.gif

Well, if your girls are anything like mine, at first they did NOT like their 'view' being blocked by the plastic...at all! But now they've resigned themselves to it and seem to be doing well. I'm wondering if that concrete slab is what might be bothering them? Concrete will retain the cold temps...dunno...just thinkin'
idunno.gif

Well that's the thing, that concrete run is now covered as you see, with comfy pine shavings!! yea they don't like change. Oh well, they don't spend much time in there anyway, i guess they'll have to get used to it!

The coop is all wood including the floor and of course it's covered in pine shavings. They NEVER spend any time in there except to roost and nest and now they're in the coop, lol

Last edited:
I just added 5 lawn bags full of dried leaves to the coop a week ago, and the leaves mixing with manure is starting to heat up, warming the coop temp slightly. I agree...they do hate change though....they checked out the leaf pile for quite awhile before finally entering coop!

Back
Top Bottom