Prepping Coop and Run for Wind

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Tropical Storm Ian is coming to visit us tonight with loads and loads of rain and predicted sustained winds of about 35mph with gusts to 50mph or above. Therefore I've been prepping my Open Air coop for it.

I am making no provisions to keep rain out. It mostly stays out due to the design, the chickens perching area is perfectly dry under all conditions, and if some areas get wet they'll dry out quickly once the storm is over. This is one of the advantages of the Open Air type setup. The only thing I wish I could have done is that if I'd had yesterday off instead of having to work, I'd have put in a few more gorilla carts' worth of dry woodchips from the pile.

I am, however, making provisions to shelter the birds from the wind and to protect things from being damaged. I *could* have let the birds out into the run as normal, but I'm keeping them in for my own convenience so I don't have to go in and out in the downpour to open and close the coop. And since I wasn't going to let them out, I took up the fence so it wouldn't act as a net to catch blown debris and possibly be damaged.

First, the run as usual with assorted clutter:

0929221023.jpg
0929221023a.jpg

I picked up all the loose stuff except the pallet and the feeder/waterer shelter (the feeder and waterer are already inside).

The lawn chairs are stacked at the bottom of the hill behind the coop where it should be sheltered from the wind.

0929221033.jpg

The windblock tarp is up on the south wall. Which would have been wanted in December or so in case of swirling winter storm winds.

0929221023b.jpg

The fence is down and protected under one of the wire panels. This is not the optimumal way to store electric net, but it should be safe for a couple days this way.
0929221101a.jpg

I brought many of the metal roofing sheets into the coop to use them as windbreaks. One in particular is sheltering the feed.
0929221045a_HDR.jpg
0929221046.jpg

Others are providing assorted shelters in different parts of the coop -- all braced with concrete blocks.
0929221124b.jpg
0929221124d.jpg
0929221124f.jpg

But a couple on are the outside of the east side, double-braced with the concrete blocks and the currently unused integration pen.
0929221109.jpg

I cleared out some random debris, put the carriers into a sheltered space, and left several buckets in various places where they could collect rain off the roofs in case we lose power and I need to water the birds.

0929221108a.jpg

Finally, I put the door onto the maternity ward but left the lid off so it would provide another wind-free zone if the birds want it.
0929221124c.jpg

Tropical Storm Ian is coming to visit us tonight with loads and loads of rain and predicted sustained winds of about 35mph with gusts to 50mph or above. Therefore I've been prepping my Open Air coop for it.

I am making no provisions to keep rain out. It mostly stays out due to the design, the chickens perching area is perfectly dry under all conditions, and if some areas get wet they'll dry out quickly once the storm is over. This is one of the advantages of the Open Air type setup. The only thing I wish I could have done is that if I'd had yesterday off instead of having to work, I'd have put in a few more gorilla carts' worth of dry woodchips from the pile.

I am, however, making provisions to shelter the birds from the wind and to protect things from being damaged. I *could* have let the birds out into the run as normal, but I'm keeping them in for my own convenience so I don't have to go in and out in the downpour to open and close the coop. And since I wasn't going to let them out, I took up the fence so it wouldn't act as a net to catch blown debris and possibly be damaged.

First, the run as usual with assorted clutter:

View attachment 3275311View attachment 3275312

I picked up all the loose stuff except the pallet and the feeder/waterer shelter (the feeder and waterer are already inside).

The lawn chairs are stacked at the bottom of the hill behind the coop where it should be sheltered from the wind.

View attachment 3275314

The windblock tarp is up on the south wall. Which would have been wanted in December or so in case of swirling winter storm winds.

View attachment 3275313

The fence is down and protected under one of the wire panels. This is not the optimumal way to store electric net, but it should be safe for a couple days this way.
View attachment 3275328

I brought many of the metal roofing sheets into the coop to use them as windbreaks. One in particular is sheltering the feed.
View attachment 3275317View attachment 3275322

Others are providing assorted shelters in different parts of the coop -- all braced with concrete blocks.
View attachment 3275336View attachment 3275338View attachment 3275340

But a couple on are the outside of the east side, double-braced with the concrete blocks and the currently unused integration pen.View attachment 3275333

I cleared out some random debris, put the carriers into a sheltered space, and left several buckets in various places where they could collect rain off the roofs in case we lose power and I need to water the birds.

View attachment 3275332

Finally, I put the door onto the maternity ward but left the lid off so it would provide another wind-free zone if the birds want it. View attachment 3275337
I think you er they will be fine. You have made all reasonable preps.

Be safe 3KillerBs!!!! Will send a prayer your way.
Mark

I'm far enough inland that we should be fine -- just a bad day of rain and wind. I'm up on a hill where potential downed trees are my major issue.

I did the coop prep primarily as a precautionary measure against blown debris.

Back
Top Bottom