Prepping for self sufficiency as it involves Chickens (aka prepper)

Time for me to start researching rain collection systems, add web links if you find something good. Well and hand pumps are a possibility.

Someone on the "natural" thread just bought a incubator that is DC powered, she is going to back up the 110 AC home current with her car's system
The "Natural" incubator is called a broody!
lau.gif

But, the DC powered incubator is a neat idea for someone who is going self-sufficient or off grid.
Wheels are churning in my mind about building one ...

The "Natural" incubator is called a broody!
lau.gif

But, the DC powered incubator is a neat idea for someone who is going self-sufficient or off grid.
Wheels are churning in my mind about building one ...
lau.gif
yep you got me!!!
my chick order from Cackle June 3 has 15 silkies, they have a reputation for being the best brooders, I am going to give them a try.
Have you got your Buckeyes going or still dreaming?

you may want to look into the basque breed..only been in the us for 2 years. Its a heratige breed. as far as wells and rain water they is a 12v deep water well perfect for solar panels. Google 12v deep well pump it will come up. You could easily run it on a cheap harbor freight solar system with one or two batteries!!

Great thread. I have Buff Orpingtons, and Rhoad Island Reds. The reds don't go broody like Orpingtons from what I have read. As far as incubating, I have a generator but if gas is in shortage I have thought of heating rocks in a fire to keep the eggs hot. I don't know if it will work or not but it is a idea.
I also think we could be in a food shortage so I also raise rabbits and have alot of seed. We have a worm bed under the rabbit pens so that could be a source of protein for the chickens.
In Georgia common weed this time of year is hensbit. It's a green with purple flowers. The chickens and rabbits love it. I'm sure there are other weeds that are healthy for my critters but I'm just learning about all this.
There are some good books of being self sufficient (The Survival Bible, 5 acres and self sufficient).
I will feed my chickens and rabbits waste from the garden this year. Bees are high on my list.
Thanks for posting!

Great thread. I have Buff Orpingtons, and Rhoad Island Reds. The reds don't go broody like Orpingtons from what I have read. As far as incubating, I have a generator but if gas is in shortage I have thought of heating rocks in a fire to keep the eggs hot. I don't know if it will work or not but it is a idea.
I also think we could be in a food shortage so I also raise rabbits and have alot of seed. We have a worm bed under the rabbit pens so that could be a source of protein for the chickens.
In Georgia common weed this time of year is hensbit. It's a green with purple flowers. The chickens and rabbits love it. I'm sure there are other weeds that are healthy for my critters but I'm just learning about all this.
There are some good books of being self sufficient (The Survival Bible, 5 acres and self sufficient).
I will feed my chickens and rabbits waste from the garden this year. Bees are high on my list.
Thanks for posting!
concerning rabbits....Polyface on youtube has been working on finishing rabbits on pasture, they had to develop a rabbit that could thrive on this system, initially they had a 50% mortality rate. I have considered raising rabbits and would probably buy a trio from them as a starting point. Great video and gives good view of rabbit "tractor". Rabbits might die of fright with coyotes outside a tractor, I would probably use a solar powered poultry net to keep predators far away. My Dad fed the extra rabbits to our dog, might be a source of dog food for a livestock guard dog.

Change of topic...I wonder what pinto beans would taste like when cooked with chicken instead of ham....which bean type would be best cooked with chicken?

Last edited:
concerning rabbits....Polyface on youtube has been working on finishing rabbits on pasture, they had to develop a rabbit that could thrive on this system, initially they had a 50% mortality rate. I have considered raising rabbits and would probably buy a trio from them as a starting point. Great video and gives good view of rabbit "tractor". Rabbits might die of fright with coyotes outside a tractor, I would probably use a solar powered poultry net to keep predators far away. My Dad fed the extra rabbits to our dog, might be a source of dog food for a livestock guard dog.

Change of topic...I wonder what pinto beans would taste like when cooked with chicken instead of ham....which bean type would be best cooked with chicken?
white bean is great with chicken add it to homemade chicken soup all the time makes it like a stew

We've finally gotten out into the country (again... we were displaced country kids living in a city apartment for a few years. blah!) and so this will be our first year on our "homestead". though I can't really call it that since we don't have any projects going really. Winter is a disappointing time to move but that has allowed me to do a lot of planning as opposed to feeling rushed by the warm weather.

anyway, I have 16 chicks in my brooder right now, 13 wyandottes, 2 EEs and a light brahma. the last three were picked up at the feed store because they were so cute, but i've been reading really great things about brahmas so I might get more of those. the wyandottes came as a straight run and I only want to keep one roo, so I guess the total number of chickens I'll end up with is unknown at this point. I'm trying to have birds that are cold hardy and like free ranging.

We've finally gotten out into the country (again... we were displaced country kids living in a city apartment for a few years. blah!) and so this will be our first year on our "homestead". though I can't really call it that since we don't have any projects going really. Winter is a disappointing time to move but that has allowed me to do a lot of planning as opposed to feeling rushed by the warm weather.

anyway, I have 16 chicks in my brooder right now, 13 wyandottes, 2 EEs and a light brahma. the last three were picked up at the feed store because they were so cute, but i've been reading really great things about brahmas so I might get more of those. the wyandottes came as a straight run and I only want to keep one roo, so I guess the total number of chickens I'll end up with is unknown at this point. I'm trying to have birds that are cold hardy and like free ranging.
welcome to BYC. sounds like you have a great flock for Michigan winters, keep us posted on how the wyandottes do with the cold and free range. January in Kansas City is going to be difficult on my silkies but I want them for brooders, I can't change the weather but I need to learn and be flexable

Back
Top Bottom